whats agood age to start on rice cereal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months is usually a good time. A lot of people start earlier. When they are able to hold their head up and hold it steady, are able to close their mouth over a spoon, and swallow it without spitting it all back out (may take a couple tries though..) then it's usually okay to start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 4 months
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 3:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 4 months is the earliest for formula fed babies and 6 months for breast fed babies
    Kamarias_mommy

Answer by Kamarias_mommy at 4:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The AAP recommends introducing solids after 6 months. Before then, their stomachs are usually not prepared to digest anything other than breastmilk, and you can run the risk of digestive issues like constipation, cramping and gas. The digestive enzymes necessary to process solid foods start coming in between 6-9 months, and there is quite a bit of literature that actually supports delaying solids longer than 6 months. Here's a great link;
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

This link also shows a list of developmental signs that occur about the same time that their systems are mature enough to handle food.
    best!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 6:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son is 7 months and I haven't introduced solids yet, and he's growing like a weed. :) I personally do not plan on using rice cereal. I'm uncomfortable with how overprocessed it is, and I plan on introducing him to steamed veggies/fruits first and making stuff at home so I know 100% that it is what's best!
    MamaSueCongdon

• Never! Sorry, I just think rice cereal is garbage. I suggest starting a fruit or veggie sometime after 6 months old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My doc says that the cereal has more necessary nutrients in it than the veggies and fruits at this point. He said the cereal can provide extra iron. You can start anywhere from 4- 6 months, but talk it over with you ped. so you know what's best for YOUR baby.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I started both babies at 4 months.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 4-6 months is the norm. Talk to your pedi to see if your baby is ready for it. Some babies have no interest while others seem fully ready by 4 months. Don't be scared by things people tell you, do your own research and decide for yourself. Anyone could make up some mumbo jumbo and get you all scared for no reason. Trust your instincts. I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but KellyMom isn't as reputable as everyone says.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009