She won't stop crying!!!

What do I do when my baby is just crying and I've tried all options? I've heard it's ok just to put them down in their crib and let them cry, am I supposed to do that or just keep trying to comfort them (what I'm already doing)? I know she doesn't have colic, I think she's just being fussy today...

dkramarczyk

Asked by dkramarczyk at 6:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I swear I am the queen of this cause my baby cried for 12mths straight no real reason to it. Just a fussy baby. Vacum cleaner is always good. They just like hearing the rumble. If that doesn't help hold her up on your shoulder like her tummy towards yours. And then take a shower with her. Mine loved to feel the warm water on her back and would usually put her to sleep. For a few mins anyways. If all else fails, just let her cry it out. If you can. Sometimes I could and sometimes I couldn't stand it. Hope that helps!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 7:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How old? My child cried and sreamed for the first 5 weeks of life. I only let him cry it out when I had to go to the bathroom. I would smile and sing to him. Maybe he couldn't hear me, but I did it anyway. Hold that baby tight and cuddle. It's hard and frustrating. After you go through the checklist of tired, hungry or wet, just keep the cuddles close. Also, mix up an ounce of formula...maybe they just need a snack.
    rbeca

Answer by rbeca at 7:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How old is your baby? It's not recommended to do any "Cry it Out" techniques until your baby is at least six months. Usually CIO is a sleep training tool. I wouldn't ignore your baby's cries because she is trying to tell you something. Check for any physical discomfort. Some babies don't like the tag in the back of their clothes of example. Also make sure nothing is pinching or chaffing her. I know it is frustrating but I think it's best to keep trying to soothe her rather than just leave her to brave the cruel world alone. Remember that she doesn't understand this world yet and needs you to assure her that she is safe. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• swaddle..and go to shoppers or walmart and get the obus form noise maker..or something that makes white noise or run the vac. My son cried allllllllllll the time for the first 4 months. And you say it's not colic..i doubt that very much! NO one knows exactly what colic actually is..a label for babies that cry nonstop is basically what it is, there's no medical proof for what causes it..just assumptions. But the white noise worked perfect! He fell right to sleep as soon as he'd hear it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• you can put them in their crib and let them cry, but personally I only did that when I needed a time out. other than that, I would just sit and rock with her. cuddle and rock. that way both of you are relaxing, you know she is safe, she is not alone, and you can do something you want while with her like watch tv, read, nap, etc. At least that is what I did when my little ones had days like that.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I'm another one who is all for the vacuum!!!! RUN IT, leave it on! And I'm talking in the same room. It quiets my girls up almost INSTANTLY! It could be over stimulation from just daily things. Even a dust buster works if your too tired to get out the big one. Plus, your house will be super clean LOLOL.
    GOOD LUCK!
    (I don't know if it's belly problems, but have you tried gripe water or the gas drops? Just a thought)
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 8:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If you don't want to run the vaccuum cleaner all the time, try the dryer. It makes nice noise and soothes the baby to sleep too. Put the baby in her carrier near the dryer and let it put her to sleep, after you check everything else, of course. My sister did this with her baby after everything else failed and she was at the end of her rope.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Do what you feel comfortable doing. If you would rather hold her to console her then do that. But if you feel like you're at your wits end b/c you don't know what to do (it happens to all of us) then put her down in her crib and let her cry for a few minutes. It will not hurt her...or you.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Walk outside (if you can depending on weather). I had a fussy baby and that was the best medicine, for both of us I think. I went down to check the mail at the mailbox like 10 times a day when I was on maternity leave. I think the new environment just caught her attention so quickly that she forgot about crying for a little while, and the fresh air gets them to nap a lot longer. I even went out at night on our porch for those trying nights, and rocked her in the dark.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 12:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• She's only about 3 weeks old.
    dkramarczyk

Answer by dkramarczyk at 9:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009