how old

how old is too old for a bottle? when my oldest two turned one i threw all of their bottles away that was it. but with my one year old now i have one bottle left and can not get rid of it. she uses a sippy cup all day but at night when it is time for bed she insists on that bottle she will scream and cry and not drink out of her cup but if i give her the bottle and rock her she goes right to sleep. any ideas?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 8:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know it's hard, but you have to break her of it. The older she gets now, the worse it is going to be. 13 - 15 months is when it is the hardest to break them and compounds from there. Be tough mom! You know as well as I that this is only one many many battles with her! GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Just enjoy it a little longer. I wish I would have!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I stuck with only giving her a bottle at bedtime until she was around 20 months, mostly because I was lazy and she preferred it at bedtime.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Only one bottle at bed time? If it's water.. I don't think it's a biggie. Unless she keeps it in her mouth all night like a paci.. then I'd be worried about buck teeth. I just tossed everything when the time was right, and dealt with the screaming.. they stop eventually. It usually only lasts a few days. Good luck.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 8:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I weaned my 2 year old off the bottle at 11 months so by the time he turned 1 he just used sippy cups. I plan to do the same with my 8 month old.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• At one I don't think it is that big of a deal...I would try to break her of it by 18 months or it will really become an issue. I would start watering down her formula/breast milk until it is all water and she may refuse it all on her own. My first instinct was to say rookie mistake letting her associate bottle/rocking and bed time. I have 5 kids and now at 42 my youngest is two..my oldest 23...so I know just how fast it goes and rocking a sweet baby is such a peacful thing it is hard not to.
    As I said, I would not sweat it at this point...but do try to change up her routine a bit at bed time before she gets much older or you will be rocking a 12 yr old to sleep lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I plan to wean my son from the bottle by one year of age BUT I may still breastfeed. I don't know. My son does the same thing. He cries and throws a fit if I don't nurse him at night. It will be an issue when he does it that age. But by one year, all of his bottles are out since you can stop feeding formula by then.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009