• In the Spotlight:

Anyone have any idea how I can teach my dog to 'shake hands'?

Either my dog is stupid or very defiant because I've been trying to teach her to 'shake' for like four years! She can sit when I say sit, but that's about all.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• have her sit. hold treat up so she knows it's there, grab her paw while saying shake/hand/gimme paw/whatever and treat her right then.Keep repeating and if she sees the treat and even lifts paw off the floor say shake/etc lift it the rest of the way and praise praise praise.I trained my dog this way and she was awesome-I could be across a romm full of people and say"bang" and shot her w/my "finger gun" and she would "die" lol it was great.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• LOL I taught my dogs by using treats. I would say sit and wait then give them a treat. I did the same thing for shaking hands, barking on cue, roll over etc. Try holding a treat you know they like alot and dont let them have it until they atleast try to do what you say. Grab their hand and say shake shake, then show them the treat. Then do it again and see if they try.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• treats.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• She DOES love treats. I've actually tried this and she looks at me like an idiot or something, but I think I'll try it again, Thanks!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Bearsjen

Thank you for the advice!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I taught my old dog to shake in a matter of minutes...and I never credited her as a genius....LOL I simply had her sit, then told her shake and held my hand out....she finally put her paw in my hand and then I reinforced "shake" and gave her lots of lovins and a treat. We did that several times in a row and that girl had it down.

Ok, maybe she was a genius.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009