Please tell me this is just a phase!

My 7 yr old ss spaces out all the time. You have to turn off every TV, computer and radio in the house just to get him to answer a simple question. It takes him an hour to pick up his clothes off the floor because he'll get distracted and start playing with something and forget he's supposed to be doing something. He's not intentionally trying to disobey us, but it's SO annoying. It seems like this has just started over the past few months. Do all kids go through this? How can I get him to focus?

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 8:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'll bet its just a phase, and can be common in boys, them loosing track and playing. Its the wonderful duty of being a parent having to repeat yourself a ba-zillion times.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It can be common. Just keep an eye out for anything else like grades etc. If hes having a hard time concentrating he could have add or adhd. Being hyper isnt always a symptom, spacing out and not following directions consistently for several months at school and home can be. I usually just clap my hands real loud when mine do that and it seems to snap them out of lala land.

Answer by gemgem at 8:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Stay on him. Kids try different tactics over the years to avoid doing what they don't want to do. Stay consistent with the message, this isn't going to work. Turn off the TV, don't just tell him to go pick up the clothes, follow him and stand there till he does it, make him repeat back instructions to you to be sure they've gotten through.

It's only a 'phase' when you've accepted it. Don't let it become one.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• LOL, my son is 7 also and is the same way. I just gotta keep on him about things otherwise he won't do it. My mother said it's a phase and ends around 8 then comes the teen years, Hehehe.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

•  How is your sons behavior in school?  Is he able to focus in class?  I would have a talk with his teacher to see how he is doing.  Make a schedule for your son homework time, playtime etc.. Do you think he may be ADHD? I remember my then 10 year old brother would brush his teeth the tooth brush would become an airplane and it would take my brother like 30 minutes to complete this simple task. I use to think what an imagination this kid has but how annoying when your in a hurry.  My brother would space out as well take him hours to do his homework.  What worked for him was after school he was given a snack, allowed to play for an hour and was put in a quiet area to do his homework. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• All my kids have selective deafness, they can't seem to hear me when I tell them to do something like clean their room but if I said lets go to McDonalds their hearing suddenly returns.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My 8 year old does this too. So, when she really needs to get something done, I remove the distractions first. It's irritating, but just a phase. It's a really annoying phase.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my 10yo ds had adhd and my 7yo ds has epilespy and they both do these things, my 10yo does it cause of the adhd, and my 7yo has petite mal seizures (just zoning out), and when his brain "resets" after a seziure, he forgot what i told him
    it could be just a phase, lots of kids do that sort of thing, but it could be something nurological as well, keep an eye on it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009