When did your son.........

When did your son start going through the ummm, I guess sexual maturity. i mean the waking up in the morning with a full throtle? Begining to play with himself kind of thing. Was it at a certain age? How did you as a mother deal with things, cause my son does not want to talk about things with me or his dad. he gets extremely embarrassed! So how do you deal with the subject? We have caught him playing with himself and have simply told him he should do that in private that it is a natural thing but no one else wants to see it. But I thought he was really to young for this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have an 11 year old and a 9 year old. What we did with the whole playing with themselves was this. I took my older son into his room and said "Hands your pants allowed. Play with yourself all you want." then I walked outside of his room and said "Hands in you pants not allowed" Then we did this back and forth walking in and out of the room say "okay, and not okay" I did the same thing with my younger son.

As far as the sex talk, I have had that with my older child and not my younger one. In school they were going to be showing a movie about puberty so we decided that it was time. We took him out for dinner and we did the bio lesson with napkins. if you PM me I will tell you exactly how we approached it.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son will be 9 in 3 months and he hasn't begun this phase yet .
    I think it would be different for each child .
    I plan to do what you have , tell him its fine, please do it in private .

I also plan to get a couple fo books for my boys to read about sexuality . I would head to the bookstore and see what's available for your sons age group.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Its different with each child. As for human development your son has probably discovered his manly parts and what not at around 6 or 7. They dont start really getting into puberty though until around 11-13 yrs old. I noticed long showers etc around then with my boys. As for how you handle it, if he wont talk to you or dad then you have to just say what you need to. I told mine they could come to me anytime they wanted to about questions about their bodies. I was so embaressed one day my son was around 12 & says mom did you know if you put soap down there it feels good? I was just glad he felt comfortable to tell me but I said no dont say that publicly or in front of your sister. I also tell them straight up no long showers I know what ur doing in there.

Answer by gemgem at 8:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Forgot to mention he is only 9 years old! Isn't this way to young?! I want my baby back
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have two sons, one 7 and the other 3 almost 4. They both like to play with themselves. I just tell them that it's not nice to do that where others can see that. I told them to do it in their room if they must but I prefer if they didn't but they will anyway, lol.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't know that I have ever had "that" talk with my kids, mainly because thier whole lives invovle "that" talk.
    Full throttle for my boys was around 11-12 for one and 10-11 for the other. And as one mom pointed out...longer then normal showers and sometimes more then one. Even if he is embaressed, keep talking, in time his level of embaressement will go down and conversation will flow a lot better with him. It's hard in the beginning but if you talk about stuff on a regular bases it will become normal.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son is going through it now and has been for maybe 6 months. He will be 12 in Feb. I also have a 10 yo who is not going through it yet. Funny thing is, I thought when this all started he would turn into a crabby, moody punk, but its been just the opposite. He is the sweetest, nicest, most considerate kid. I hope it works the same with my 10 yo! He needs an attitude adjustment!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son is getting ready to turn 9 so I am starting to prepare myself for this stage. I remember when my younger brother went through this stage. We started noticing that lotion bottles would start going missing. We found them under his mattress. Good Luck and definitly talk to him as much as possible. I am not looking forward to this stage.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 12:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009