Please help! I washed my hubby's cell phone . What can I do to save it?

This is the second time this has happened in the last 6 months. He is going to kill me! I don't always check pockets. Besides it should be his responsibility to check his own pockets, but he won't see it that way.

blessed11x

Asked by blessed11x at 8:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• first thing do NOT try to turn it back on now!

take the battery out, leave the cover off, put it in front of a heat register or somewhere warm and let it dry out for 3 days minimum, then see if it works again.

I put mine through the wash in my winter coat pocket and did what I said to do and it is working fine now.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Sorry, but your husband is a big boy, and as part of being a big boy it is HIS responsibility to take care of his "toys!" Maybe if HE has to deal with paying for a replacement, he'll learn to take better care of HIS things! Obviously his mother didn't teach him to take responsibility for his mistakes...and that is NOT your job!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I agree with LoriKeet...it's hubby's responsibility to empty his own pockets. My hubby has ALWAYS emptied his pockets before he even gets undressed. My children on the other hand have had to learn that lesson the hard way. My oldest son had problems with that...after ruining clothes because of ink pens being left in his pockets (I don't check their pockets either...it's their job) I finally washed ONLY his stuff a few times. When he had a load of clothes ruined and I refused to replace them he started cleaning out his pockets. Maybe this will teach your hubby to take care of his own things as well.
    NCmomX4

Answer by NCmomX4 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• JustAMom is right. If you do that it should work fine. I did the same thing with my ipod. I've learned to check my hubby's pockets...I find lotsa money hehehe ^-^
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I always check my hubby's pockets because he works in construction and I found out the hard way that a nail can ruin a washing machine. When we come home typically our phones go on chargers. Seeing how this has happened once before, he should know better. But the first replier is right, do not turn on the phone, it will fry the electronics. I've laid mine on my dash for a few days, I've blow dryed and sat on the vent in the house (the ones on the floor). I've had my share of cell phones going in drinks (O.J. and Dr Pepper will really mess up the keys but water isn't usually so bad as long as you let it dry before turning it on). Depending on what company you're with, go to walmart/radio shack/dollar store and buy one of those track phones or go phones and just put his SIM card in it if you need the phone working ASAP.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I did that with my son's cell phone a couple years ago. Unfortunately It ended up in" cell phone heaven." I agree with everyone, the pockets should be cleaned out by the one who the clothing belongs too. Now I double check all pockets, just to stay on the safe side.
    nan16
    nan16

Answer by nan16 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I did that with my 2 cell at the same time. I try to fix it but they never work. And is true is his responsibility to take out his cell phone.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You can take it apart and set it in a bowl of rice for a day or two to help draw the moisture out. Go ahead and remove the sim card...if you're with AT&T you can go to Walmart and get a cheap Go phone to use as a regular phone until, if, your other phone starts working again. The phone may be ruined but the sim card will not be.

You can file insurance on the phone if you have it as well. But no store will take it back even if it's under the time limit because they will know it has gotten wet. There is a little dot on the back of the phone that will turn red once the phones had moisture in that area. No way around that one. But if you have insurance it covers things like this.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My hubby has washed his cell phone a few times, I have a friend who use to work for a cell store here and told us to fill a ziplog half full of UNCOOKED rice, take the battery out of the phone and place the phone in the bag of rice and leave it for a day or two, the dry rice will pull the moisture out of the phone.
    We did it and let it set for 2 days and put the battery back in and it worked fine.
    RyleighsMomma

Answer by RyleighsMomma at 9:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• ziplock bag.. not ziplog... lol and looks like munch and I had the same idea at the same time :)
    RyleighsMomma

Answer by RyleighsMomma at 9:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009