Playing hockey...

My 11 year old son has played hockey for 5 years now. My husband and I recently divorced and between finances and traveling distances for games/practices we decided not to have him play. Now we are having 2nd thoughts but my son doesn't want to play. He hasn't been on ice all summer and thinks he won't make the team and is also involved in other sports. We think that he will regret it if he doesn't play. How do I get him to understand this and get back on the ice?

kiwi0613

Asked by kiwi0613 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sign him up for a short fall league, or clinic. Just to get him skating again. (He may say he doesn't want to play because he knows it cost money and is trying to help.) Tell him to try the clinic out before he decides he doesn't want to play the regular season and then let the decision be his. This is what I would do. I have 3 children who play or have played hockey.
    jrjade

Answer by jrjade at 10:09 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree with jrjade, I would sign him up for a week long hockey camp or skills camp and get him going on it again. The "back on the ice" feeling and camradery may get him psyched for it again. If he is not into it and decides not to after that, take it for what it is...My 11 year old daughter has decided not to play this year either...just because...maybe its an age thing...
    sammysunshine72

Answer by sammysunshine72 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008