GOING BACK TO WORK WITH BREASTFEED BABY

but she will get to stay home with dad becouse he only works 3 days a week,,i have a few ?s,,, even if i pump on my breaks will my production go down? will he know when she is hungry,,im nervous about leaving her with him,lol,as crazy as it sounds.

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 9:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He'll figure out her signals. He's going to have to learn, but he will..and quickly. Let him take charge a bit more before you go back to work. You'll see he can do it and feel more confident in his abilities as a dad.

As for your production...I have no personal experience, but you'll still be nursing when home, and pumping at work...it might change, but will adapt, I'm sure. I know a mom who pumped for the first year while at working and her daughter only ever had breastmilk....so I know it can work.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• This book saved my life when I was returning to work - Nursing Mother, Working Mother, Revised Edition by Gale Pryor and Kathleen Huggins

The main thing is to be sure to pump at regular times, feed more at night - My production did not go down as long as I kept up a routine, kept hydrated - unstressed as possible and I was sure to get in feedings when I was home on those days.

Best Wishes, and be sure to check out the book - it is really good!! It even has an example of a good nursing schedule to keep up production and your frozen/refrigerated supply!
    swampermom

Answer by swampermom at 9:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I pumped almost exclusively and I was able to keep it up for over 6 months before I lost my milk. My daughter was little and it was important for me to see how much she was actually getting to eat...so I would pump and feed. I would ask dad to keep a log of how much she ate, when she ate, and when she had diapers so you know...I did that even with my sister. Made me feel better, plus the doctors loved having that information. I will do it with this baby too. I would also get your baby used to taking a bottle from dad before you go back to work too.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i know how you feel, well pumping you may wanna get started now so your boobs can get used to it. you may see a slight dicrease in milk if you do not keep to a schedule and, you have got ot drink plenty of water. i did pump when i came back to work it was really hard. to have enough breaks to pump.so now my daughter gets formula during the day and breast feed at night. as for your husband watching the baby try to have a schedule written down for him to follow. my husband over feed my daughter the first 2 days he was watching her. also make sure you go over everything with him, how to make a bottle, where you keep everything, what your baby can do right now. all the basics and you should be ok i called and checked on them every 3 hours lol that was crazy. but you will see what works.
    Davina07

Answer by Davina07 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2009