How do I get an 8 year old to wear Goodnites on his own?

My 8 yo stepson wets the bed. No biggie. He doesn't mind wearing Goodnites, usually, and he'll grow out of it eventually. He doesn't want anyone to know, but if we forget to tell him to put a goodnite on, he wont. Then he hides his clothes and I'm stuck washing his pjs 3 times to get the old pee smell out, because they were in a ball in the bottom of his hamper, and his room smells. I think 8 is old enough to know - when you get ready for bed, put the thing on!! I'm so frustrated with this!! Am I being too hard on him?

drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 9:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no youre not. at 8 he should know. so make him clean it up. and there are these new ones that dont show. don't remember the name but i saw the commercial on lifetime.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I think you're being a little harsh....He is a big boy and he probably feels like he's wearing a diaper. His little self esteem is probably hurt by this. I have a niece that is 11 and I think she's finally out of wetting the bed, but she would NEVER admit to doing it, except to her mom. She was always so embarassed by it.....He just doesn't want to feel like a baby. Just take it upon yourself to remind him, because he probably thinks if he doesn't wear it he MIGHT NOT do it THIS TIME! Be patient with him.
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 9:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• no! your not being to hard! An 8 yr old should be able to control his bladder. if he is not able to do so maybe a dr. would be able to help. And if he has to wear the goodnites he is old enough to learn responsibility. It shouldnt be your job to still be changing him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree. My 6yo and 5yo wear goodnights and I expect them to remember to put them on themselves. They do not get in trouble for wetting the bed. They do get in trouble for not putting on the goodnights and wetting the bed. We do remind them usually once a night. It's part of the routing, "okay, it's bedtime, go brush your teeth, put on your jammies and pull-ups and get in bed". If they don't do it and wet the bed they get in trouble. IMO they are old enough to understand that and to have the responsibility on their own. My 6yo (will be 7 in October) just recently stopped wetting the bed. He hasn't worn a pull-up in weeks and has only had 1 or 2 accidents. He didn't get in trouble for wetting the bed but he did get in trouble for not telling anyone and just leaving his wet, stinky clothes and blankets in the basket with all of his sisters clothes (therefore making everything smell). We told him he just needs to tell us if he has an accident now and we will clean it up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I dont think you are harsh. I think you should take him to see a dr. Maybe there is a problem with him or you need to wake him up in the middle of the night to pee. My oldest son who is 7 now peed till he was about 51/2 and occasionally, pees now when he overeats. He also hides his clothes because they are embarrased aboult it but you still have to let them take responsibility for doing it and trying to hide it. Good luck
    Katelyn113

Answer by Katelyn113 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2008