What is your idea/trick to save money or cut back?

Recently people have been answering the questions with ways to save money or cut back. I would love to hear your best idea on how you are saving money now. Also how much do you save by doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I shop for things I use on sale and stock up , (careful of sales though its tempting to buy things you don't normally use) I always use coupons , last year I save over $1000 using coupons (yes I keep track) . I use generic brands whenever possible , I shop in consignment shops and 2nd hand shops for clothing and save a bundle that way.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my dd's school does not offer hot lunch anymore(which is sad for us, as we qualify for reduced lunches) and so she brings a lunch to school everyday. i make sure to always use her thermos. if she brings in brown bags, she brings them home and i reuse them until they are nearly falling apart. also she brings home any snack bags or sandwich bags i send to school with her. for my kids snacks, i try to make them or buy as much bulk as possible. i try to use coupons as much as possible too. my dad does our oil changes and i am going to learn to do them myself so i don't have to pay someone to do them. and this sounds cheap, but we will rip napkins in half and a 250 bag of napkins can last us for months!
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't spend needlessly - plain and simple. You'd be amazed at what you could do without.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• phone is down to basic service, my cell phone is off,no going out to eat, only basic cable, internet is the next to go if it keeps up. I walk to the grocery store with the kids and the wagon. We eat a lot of beans and cornbread, I pick up extra shifts on fri and Sat nights when DH is home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Cut eating out. We found a bargin on meats and had a bunch of sides already. Guessing we save about $500 a month. We now only get $5 pizzas once in awhile and eat leftovers for lunch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My husband and I have been discussing ways to save money recently. Last time I went to wal mart I made a list of the costs of my most purchased items. I now only take cash to walmart for what I need to buy. This way i cannot buy something that I don't really "need". We have also do not eat out anymore. I try to make enough dinner so that we have leftovers for lunch. Use coupons when you go shopping.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2009