how can i control my 2yr old daughter?

she likes to answer me back. she tries to hit me and wants to do what she wants.. and does listen to me at all when i try to call her...and the time out chair is not working at all.. what can i do?

sillymommy725

Asked by sillymommy725 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirect her. Many times parents just fall into the trap or argueing with their children including toddlers. If you think about it why would you do that? Instead when shes doing something she shouldnt be show her something else she can do. I usually will say oh look at your doll lets get that and play. Or how about we go outside for a walk? If you change what they are doing they usually will change their attitude.

Answer by gemgem at 9:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I've said this before, TAP THAT ASS. You're not beating, or abusing. She needs discipline and stucture. She thinks she's your equal and she's not. There's nothing wrong with gigving her room to explain herself, but you have to set boundaries and stick to them. Don't jump to spanking quickly assert yourself (I know it sounds crazy for a 2 yr old) but stand your ground. She;s two you're grown. Good Luck
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Your not alone.. Mine does the same thing.. I have started as the mom above said tap that a**.. But I have see I have to put my foot down more,, but not easy some times..
    Dream2630

Answer by Dream2630 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• it all depends on how you would like to approach it lol I personally have never believed in spanking my child so I am very consistent with time outs (one minute for every year old they are) and also do the redirecting like gemgem said. My son acted up for awhile even after we started time outs and it has been a few months and he is just now starting to gain some respect for us....but we had to earn it! You have to respect your child for them to respect you and if you yell and scream and get all worked up over small things you are showing them that it is okay to act that way.
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• CONT
    (and trust me it is hard lol) I would tell my son to "turn around and put his nose in the corner" and he would turn in circles until he was dizzy and fell down then laugh at me and it took all I had not to bust out in laughter because he took the "turn around" part literally haha Just be patient, simple, and consistent....one warning, timeout....but you have to decide what your most important rules are because you can't expect them to be perfectly well behaved as soon as they start walking and talking! Good luck!
    LOVE2bMOMMY525