on a scale of 1-10 ..

how bad to contractions hurt and whats the worst most painful part?
im going all natural with a water birth!

BayB

Asked by BayB at 9:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• about a 15. They hurt very badly and there is no real way to describe the pain. It just hurts like hell. As for water birth just make sure you have people there who know what they are doing. My good friend is a paramedic and I was thinking of a water birth for my last child. She talked me out of it after telling me how many tragic situations she has run into with water births.

Answer by gemgem at 9:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Amen to you sister if you can go natural! I tried with my first and I gave in and got an epidural. For me it was a ten! It's cramp like feelings only 1,000 times worse. Everyone is different. Good luck!

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 10. Is like christine said is like cramps 1000 worst .
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I did 5 natural births (one water) contractions in the early stages of labor are a 8-9 for me . in trabsition they are a 10-100 lol .
    Its possible, but everyone tolerates it differently. Best of luck!
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How old are you all?
    Im 18 and heard that it is much easier and younger women.
    I don't know why but most of them tell me its a breeze, all though They havn't gone all natural.
    I would rather go natural then deal with my fear of needles though. =P
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 9:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am 37 and have 5 kids. I had my first when I was 18. My first was really easy but I was told the opposite of you. I was told teenagers have a harder time with delivery then older women. I dont know if thats true or not. I know my first was pretty easy and I was up and running around within a day or two of having any of my kids. I went natural for my first 3 mainly because my dr didnt use epidurals at all. I had one with my 4th & btw I am so phobic of needles so I understand what youre saying. The pain was so intense though the epidural you dont see or feel going in and then after you feel nothing. It was awesome. But natural was too. It just depends on the pain & what you can take I think.

Answer by gemgem at 9:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I went all natural 2 times now and let me tell you what omg it hurts!! but you know each time was different the 1st the contractions were not all that bad but the pushing part about killed me The 2ed the contractions were sooooooo bad I almost passed out but the pushing was really fast and easy! Good luck !! Ohh on the [pain scale definitely a 10 both times but in diif ways)

lolapop13

Answer by lolapop13 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had my son when I was 19 and the pain was a 15 plus! Age doesn't always make it easier. The best way I found to describe it was feeling like there were a thousand fish hooks in my uterus being pulled from every direction.
    I'm so freaked out by the pain I'm not even sure what to do with this one since I don't want an epidural. They screwed up last time and it didn't work.
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 9:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• eek... now im scared.
    womens bodys are meant to go throgh this i guess....
    ive never EVER had menstral cramps so i dont even know what those feel like.
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 9:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had 3 kids and must have a high tolerence to pain because I would have as many kids as I could. I did not hurt that bad!!! The worst was with my first. The pain was like extreme cramping for about 21/2 mim. at a time. The pain is all worth it. Try deep breathin and other relaxation techniques if you do not want an epidural. With my 2nd child they put it in a nerve, but fixed it right away and I was fine. Every pregnancy and labor/delivery is different . I suggest you have a strong support person or people with you in the delivery room 'cause that really helped me.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2009