Can I initially gain weight at first if I start running?

I've heard it before so just wanted t know before I go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm passing this off to my husband who is a certified personal trainer and corrective exercise specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine. you may initially gain weight once you start exercising regardless of which activity you choose. usually when one begins an exercise program they tend to drink more water and eat more food. your body needs to transport more nutrients when you become more active so your body will retain fluids in order to accomplish this task.
    naomianne2

Answer by naomianne2 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Muscle weighs more than fat , so technically yes
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well, if I just start, then there would be no muscle though right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You also build up and tone muscle first, then lose weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• "always" not also.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. If you weren't a runner before, your body will need to retain extra 'water' to help repair and revitalize the muscles (which are large and dense in the legs). After a week or so, you should notice that the weight levels out and you'll continue to simply burn extra calories and drop some weight. However, you will probably notice more in the shape and size of your body before you notice a significant weight loss just from running.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You'll gain muscle mass, so yes you'll gain weight. You'll also notice body changes before weight loss.

I'm a firm believer that if you're happy with how you look, who cares what the scale says!
    Good Luck with the running!
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies =) I'm motivated lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• since you already gained some weight and havent introduced strength training into your routine it is unlikely that the weight gain is coming from an increase in muscle tissue. unless you are using weights that truly challenge your body then you are not gaining a significant amount of muscle, however, since you are running and have become more active your muscles will learn to work more efficiently which is actually the cause of initial strength gain in any program.
    naomianne2

Answer by naomianne2 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• to answer your question, yes you can initially gain weight from running . one more thing, it is a common belief that muscle weighs more than fat, however, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. the difference is in the density of the tissue. a pound of muscle is more dense than a pound of fat. hope this helps!
    naomianne2

Answer by naomianne2 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009