Just what are the essentials needed for a new baby?

My husband and I are expecting our first baby in March. We live in a small townhouse and don't have a lot of space for all the "stuff" that people say we need. We are getting pressure to do our registry but were completely overwhelmed by everything we "need" to prepare for our baby. Any advice on what to register for that will not make our home look like it's been overtaken by Babies R Us?

Joie_De_Vieve

Asked by Joie_De_Vieve at 10:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A crib if you plan to use one
    A highchair
    One entertaining thing (exersaucer, walker, jumperoo whatever for 5+ months of age)
    One entertaining thing for younger than 5 months (playmat, bouncy chair, swing)

I NEVER used a swing, bouncy chair, jumperoo, walker etc ...
    I did use a playmat, playpen, exersaucer and highchair.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If youre having a baby your house is going to look overtaken by babiesrus then later toysrus lol. Sorry to be the one to tell you. Basic needs?
    Crib, crib mattress, play pen, swing, bouncer, clothes, diapers, blankets (both receiving & bigger), crib sheets (atleast 5 to start), wipes, bottles, tippy cups, stroller, car seat. I recommend the stroller/carseat combo they are life savers. I also recommend a take along swing if you dont have alot of room. They fold up and you can put them away.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I lived in 2 bedroom apt with 3 kids for few months. When baby was born we had bouncy seat. We didn't use playpen. Didn't have swing. Didn't get highchair until he was 6 months. Also don't go overboard with clothes. Babies grow way too fast. I have cribsheets galore and realize I only need a few. For accidents and wash days. The crib with the drawer under is helpful too. Receiving blankets are great at first but I only used them few weeks. I had favorite blanket and he hated swaddling.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Diapers, butt cream, wipes, burp cloths (dish towels work great for this!!), bottles, nipples, formula-- unless you are breastfeeding. Crib, mattress and a few crib sheets. Some blankets, a few toys. Pacifiers- if you plan to use them. Clothes- although babies grow fast so you don't want too many outfits. Sleepers, onsies, bibs, socks, baby wash, baby lotion, a baby bath tub and liner (foam), baby towels and washcloths, Maybe a bouncy seat or one of those rocking or vibrating seats. My 2nd and 3rd loved theirs!! An excersaucer is a wonderful thing- although most babies are about 4-5mo old or so before they are using them. A high chair- but that can wait till baby is sitting up and eating foods. A stroller/car seat combo is AWESOME!!! I did not have one for my 1st 2, and really regretted it. I bought one for my 3rd and LOVE it!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Most of these are good suggestions, but I'd forget about the baby bathtub. I always bathed the baby in the regular tub, and as soon as they were a couple months old I started taking them in the shower with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Our place is absolutely tiny. With this baby we started out with clothes, diapers, a bassinette, and a sling. Add bottles if you need them. We got some rattles and teethers at 3 months, a playpen when he out grew the bassinette (smaller than a crib), at 7 months a highchair. We get more use, entertainment wise, from open floor space for rolling crawling, walking than we ever have from exersaucers jumpers or playmats (with our older children we had more room and more stuff.)
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I really like baby wearing and even if you're not extreme about it it's nice to have a hands free option. So I would die without my baby carrier
    I did not use- the swing very much, baby bath tub ( My daughter liked it too much and it became really dangerous), Swaddling Blankets
    I did use- Bassinet, Sleeper sacks, cloth diapers as burp rags AMAZING, exersaucer, Adjustable Bouncer in place of a high chair
    Oh and I got most of this stuff consignment.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 11:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have a one bedroom apartment and we have a 4 month old. It is doable! I would say: Bouncy seat. Very portable and small. Cradle. Nice and small. We'll next use a pack and play. No room for a crib. You will get a lot of newborn clothes and should try to trade them for bigger sizes to save space! Floormat for playing It is simple and slides behind the couch when not using it. We have a storage ottoman for toys. It looks great in our livingroom.Chicco has a hook-on highchair so that you can save the floorspace. You won't need it until they are 5-6 months, so don't even unpack it from the box! I use cloth diapers and have a doorknob hanging wetbag for a diaper pail. That saves floorspace. You can check out this at www.nellsnaturalbaby.com.   Remember---you don't need all the baby stuff or even a room.They want to be with you the most anyways!

nellie401

Answer by nellie401 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• the things i used the most for my son when he was first born are the following:

-a crib
    -a swing (my son wouldn't sleep in his crib for the first few months so the swing was a LIFESAVER)
    -diapers
    -diaper genie (so your house won't smell)
    -recieving blankets (to wrap up in and use as burping cloths)
    -bottles
    -baby bath tub
    -clothes, of course
    -and a carseat/stroller

we didn't use a high chair until he was 5 months old... he wasn't interested in toys until he was around 4 months old... having a bouncer was nice, but not necessary...
    lmybo

Answer by lmybo at 11:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• For my little girl, we had EVERYTHING- gah.. too much. All I used were:
    Diapers/Wipes/Butt Cream
    Receiving blankets for the first 2 months- about 8
    A baby bath tub that folds up for easy storage
    Clothes
    Carsear stroller combo
    Dish towels for burp rags
    Her Swing (she just started sleeping in her bassinet a few weeks ago at 3 mos)
    a baby safety kit
    and books to read her.
    I had a diaper genie, but still don't use it because her poops don't smell at all! Why waste money on liners when you can just throw em in the trash :)
    I also had a pump for myself-
    All babies are different in how you get them to sleep, so I would recommend a bouncy seat, too, although Abby hated hers until a few weeks ago..
    Congratulations and best of luck on this lovely adventure!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009