San Fransisco is using $1 million in federal funds to research charging a Fee to drive through certain areas of the City? What are your thoughts?

Following the lead of cities such as London and Singapore, officials in San Francisco are considering a plan to ease traffic by charging drivers a fee upon entering notoriously clogged sections of the city.

Using $1 million in federal funds, the San Francisco County Transportation Authority is studying various "congestion-pricing" options. If approved, such pricing would make San Francisco the first U.S. city to charge cars a fee to enter certain neighborhoods at certain times.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008587885_fees04.html?syndication=rss

Is this TOO much Government involvement in the way people live, work, and vacation?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That was tried here in new york. It failed. The people voted it down.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I can see this (long term) "driving" (pun intended) commuters/people OUT of the City.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I also think a MILLION DOLLARS of Federal Funds can be spent in more PRODUCTIVE ways. Especially in this economy.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• But it's the DEMOCRATIC way!!!

Voters get what they wish for!

It's a sign of the times!

P.S. OP...It's San FranCisco

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It is ridiculous but for people in CA and NY perhaps it doesnt seem like it. I used to live in CA and it wasnt until I left that I realized what a nanny state it was. Boy do I NOT miss that place. I am for a smaller govt, less spending, welfare reform, and less tax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I never truly understood "Nanny State" till I started reading some of the initiatives, legislature, and proposals for California... I can say I am 100% PROUD to be a midwest gal

;-P
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Anonymous.. Thanks for the correction, it wouldn't be CM without you..
    :-[)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think if they are so convinced that this might work for them, then they should try it instead of spending so much money 'studying' it. If it doesn't improve things like they expect, then just make it null and void. California is in such financial crap that they need to do whatever it takes to keep their hands off of the bailout money (is there any left?). That said, I lived in CA for a while and you couldn't pay me enough to go back now. Their state income tax is a rip off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well, I mean if you live or work in San Fran then you better expect traffic and delays! The traffic out there is NUTS but I don't think charging people a fee is going to do much except make people mad.

It doesn't help that its a huge area for tourism. I loved the city honestly!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• California is whining it's broke yet they are going to spend money on something so useless, why doesn't that surprise me.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009