Flat-screen TVs to face energy-efficiency rules in California. Do you think the State should determine the type of Appliance you can purchase?

Even if it will cost you MORE money?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tv3-2009jan03,0,2869589.story

"State regulators are getting ready to curb the growing power gluttony of TV sets by drafting the nation's first rules requiring retailers to sell ONLY the most energy-efficient models, starting in 2011."

How many Californians will order your TV from other states? Or who thinks Appliance retailers in CA will lose money(forcine consumers to other states to buy tv's)?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. More Nanny state crap.

Answer by gemgem at 10:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ok, so I am reading some of the internet news headlines, and some of these studies and potential new initiatives are mind boggling.

Does anyone else see Government getting WAY to inolved in what we do, where we drive, what we purchase?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• yep, CA is the ultimate nanny state. one more reason I will never live there.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• California is also primarily ultra liberal and heavily Democratic! It is also bankrupt from having to financially support large sanctuary cities full of illegals!

Little taxes here and there are the only way to offset some of those costs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• And we wonder why people hate us...::::shaking my head::::. It's because we are so fucking greedy and selfish about everything! "Oh, I have to have my 3000 inch tv to sit on my fat ass and watch reality shows with and I don't give a damn how much energy I use and how that energy use affects the planet so long as I don't miss 'Project Runway'!" There is no good reason and no benefit at all to buying big things...Hummers, 55" plasmas, McMansions...it's all so wasteful and selfish. And all so you can show off to your neighbor...god, get some self esteem already...the entire country is suffering from 'penis envy'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Wow, Anon 10:38, bitter much? Not sure when the last time you went to Wal Mart's electronics section, Best Buy, etc... Even the 13 and 19' tele's are moreso becoming flat screen/plasmas. It's the sign of the times, like fading out of VHS for DVD.

So, even the 84 yr old grandma who needs a new tv, may have to PAY more for energy efficient tv's someday (She may not have a choice) because old school tv's are phasing out and Plasma/LCD are growing in popularity.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• California has a republican governor.. ofcourse he wants control
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Makes me wonder if Pelosi has her hand in the pot. I love how she expects others to do without or have to buy the most upgraded 'government approved' things (because it's oh-so-good for the environment), yet she still takes her private government paid jet to D.C. Pot, meet kettle.

As for the original question, I do feel that this would be an example of govt. getting too involved with citizen's lives. Appliance companies are making things more energy efficient anyhow, and when old stuff breaks or wears out, people will buy the new energy efficient appliances. Isn't that enough? Are we going to come up with a new oven, or stove top that citizens are required to use as well? If govt. wants to mandate it, they have to make it affordable, IMO.  And since private companies make these appliances, govt. has no right to 'make' it affordable.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Energy is not infinite. That is why NYC a few years back experienced a black out. It will happen again on a very wide scare. And it will last a very long time. Why? Because people are more concerned about their own wants and needs in this moment and are worried about their personal rights. Well, when you no longer have the ability to cook when ever you feel like it - see if you like that. That is what IS going to happen. States are going to have to, within the next decade, dictate hours that people can run their electricity. Thinking ahead, conserving, and being smart will help. But when we overrun the grid that supplies us energy we all will be in a crisis. Your right to have a television does not mean someone should die in a black out as a result of not getting air off their ventilatior.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Welcome to the liberal world where government mandates your entire being! Or will die trying!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009