any good tricks for kids colds

both of my kids have had really green/yellow mucus now for over a week and a half. I have done the steam baths and i am a nose sucking fool. i already took them to the dr and he said it wasn't an infection. i just feel so bad for these poor little guys (mommy has it too!) i was wondering if anyone has any little tricks to help these guys. i would love to put the vaporizers in their rooms at night but i cant keep them from playing with them! any help is greatly appreciated.

nvedwards

Asked by nvedwards at 10:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would call the dr back and ask them if its normal to have colored boogers. Mine always said it wasnt an infection unless they had green/yellow boogers. Then I would ask what you can give them for relief. I know the FDA recently made rules about the cold meds but I always give mine Childrens Motrin Cold. That works very well. Its about the only thing that dries my dd up. You can also put vicks vapor rub on their feet and put socks over it. I know it sounds insane but my dd was told to do this with her son and it really worked lol. I also use the plug in for vicks you can use and it releases vicks into the air & looks like a nightlight so they are less likely to mess with it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yes, definitely do the Vick's on the feet! I did this recently for my 6 month old and it worked wonders. I did a cold-steam humidifier with Vick's vaporizor tabs as well and made sure I kept my son well-hydrated. I gave him motrin for the mild fever and he eventually slept it off. Good luck, Mama!
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They also make Vicks VaporBath. You can squirt a good bit in the bath before bed-time and let them soak in it and breathe it in. The vapor rub on the feet works too. Also put some vasoline under their nose to keep it from getting sore from the runny nose and having it wiped so much.

I would also give the doctor another call just to make sure. Good luck and I hope your LO's get to feeling better!!!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I use saline nose drops and you could give them Musanex, I think they make it for children

determind

Answer by determind at 5:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If you put a rolled up towel or something under the mattress (I'm sure for older kids you can use something over the mattress) so that it raises the bed at the neck/head, it helps the mucus to drain while they're sleeping. That was helpful when our pumpkin had a cold. Keep up with the steam baths! Hopefully you're little ones (and you!) are feeling better soon
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009