eating with a spoon?

My DD is 14 months old and she doesnt use a spoon, she will sometimes get the food on the spoon but she still uses her fingers. At what age should she be using a spoon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 25 months and does this too. she actually holds her spoon and eats with her other hand. just remind her to use it. or to get her started put a little food on the spoon and give it to her. do you eat meals as a group? she will pick it up faster if she sees you do it constantly. but 14 months is an age where she just doesn't get the concept yet. so don't worry. my dd would hand me her spoon for the longest time wanting me to put something on it for her.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Do you tell her: "Look how mommy and daddy do it? Can you do it like this?" You can take a meal and try and wok with her until she gets it.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My 2 year old doesn't use a spoon unless he has to. We started them on a fork anyway...easier to stab food than to scoop!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• All kids are different. My older 3 didn't figure it out really until after they were 2. I mean they could eat with a spoon if they wanted but it was easier and, therefore, they preferred to eat with their fingers until about 2 1/2. I still have to tell them constantly to eat with a fork and they are 8, 7 and 6.
    My youngest was the opposite and wants to do everything like a big girl and has been using a fork and spoon with little mess since she was 16 months.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son CAN use a spoon but really, prefers his hands and I dont mind to be honset. If it bothers you she is using her hands try placing the spoon in her hand, when she uses it get really excited each time, and show her you and your spouse use a spoon as well.
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 10:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2009