what do I do when my toddler beats his head against hard things in purpose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HA!! He'll stop when he hurts himself! He is just doing it for attention! I would call that a tantrum!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ignore it unless he hurts himself. your reaction = his satisfaction.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ignore it. It's either a temper tantrum or him wanting your attention. When he finds that you aren't interested, he will stop.

If he hurts himself, do attend to him. But don't make too much of a Mommy-fuss otherwise he will think his attempt was successful and continue to use this tactic on you. Be very business like when handling him injured after this behavior.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Our son does this too. We try to ignore it and make sure he is surrounded by soft items. The dr. told us this is simply attention-seeking, and it has decreased quite a bit for our son now that he can talk pretty well.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I agree, my almost 2 boy hits his head on the florr and walls. When he does it on the floor I throw a blanket or pillow under him and go back to my buisness. He watches me walk away and stops most of the time. When he does to a wall or something standing (aslong as its sturdy) I simply go out of my way to walk by him but ignore him at the same time. He then wants to go where i go and stops. Hope it helps you..
    tharris86

Answer by tharris86 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My DD just did this in her crib last night because I wouldn't rock her anymore! C'mon - it was 3am! She's 15 months old now, and has been rocked to sleep since day 1. She had a nightmare last night, I rocked her for an hour but she didn't want to sleep. So we went downstairs to change her diaper and get some milk in her tummy. She did some quiet playing for about 40 minutes, and looked at her books, and snuggled with me a little on the couch. Then we went back to her room, and I held her and rocked her for another hour after that!
    mrsflum

Answer by mrsflum at 2:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Cont - I was done, told her so, and put her in her crib (not leaving the room, just sitting in the rocker). She rolled over onto her back and started hitting her head on the corner of the crib! Not hard, and it was actually kinda funny because I knew she wasn't going to hurt herself. But she was tired and cranky, and was definately wanting attention. After about 5 minutes of this (I'm guessing), I went back over to her, asked her if she was finished, and she held out her arms. Picked her up, started rocking, and she immediately fell back asleep. I just shook my head and laughed at how smart babies are!
    mrsflum

• My daughter does the same thing. She hits her head on the floor and walls so hard that it leaves a red mark in the center of her forehead. I am trying to ignore her, but it is really hard!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 2:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't feel like you are alone....my son did the same thing...he started about 12 months and he very rarely does it anymore he is now 19months. I just ignored him. Just make sure that there is nothing around him he could get hurt on....obviously pick him up and move him if he is trying to bang his head on glass or something lol but if he is banging it off the floor...he won't hurt himself...just ignore it ....tell him when you are done mommy will be waiting in the other room for you to calm down and walk away and let him go....if he isn't getting any attention he will stop. At least it worked for me, and this is what my peditrician recommended! lol
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2009