Activities for 5 year old and 2 year old

Every evening in our house is crazy...the kids are always bored and nuts! What are some activities that can actually keep them busy for more than 5 minutes? Sometimes my husband and I just want to relax and watch a movie or a tv show.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have 5 kids ranging from almost 4 to 19 and a grandson whose 2. Honestly there isnt alot you can do with them to keep them active that doesnt involve your own involvement. We do family nights and play board games, video games, choose a movie to watch together and make popcorn. I also have a V-smile and Dance Cam so my 4 yr old and my 2 yr old grandson play on that and it keeps them busy around 20-30 minutes. After dinner its time for baths, books and bed. They are both in bed and asleep no later then 8pm.

Answer by gemgem at 11:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Oh I love this question! I do unplugged nights. Nights where nothing that has batteries, can be plugged in, nothing that lights up...my two year old loves it and so will older children. Okay, here are just a few. Laundry soccer. Take two laundry baskets (empty) and place them on opposite sides of a room that can be played in. Then a small ball that can be kicked. Blow up small beach balls work well. Create teams. Play soccer. Balloon volley ball. Make a net in a room, blow up a balloon or soft beach ball - and have your team sets - play. Take all your blankets in the house and make a tent with chairs and couches. Use flash lights and have snacks. Read books in the "caves" or forts. Take all your recycles for the past week (or two) and make a recycled Robot.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• cont..Use all those tiolet paper and paper towel rolls (empty of course), soda bottles (washed out) and other items that may be interesting. Large diaper boxes make awesome doll houses or "action hero club houses" (PC way to say boy doll house). Have races on who can clean an area the fastest. Bubble wars. Just need some dollar stores bubbles. My two year old dies laughing at this. Make cookies and have them decorate them. Bake and let them actually help. My toddler loves to cook and he feels so big as a result. Muffin mix is easy to do and can be done at the kitchen table. Go food shopping. Give each a picture list of items they are responsible for. You don't have to do a full shopping trip. Just more like a scavenger hunt of items you know you will need. It is called pre reading by the way.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• cont..I have a ton more house activities. There are books at the library and bookstore on this very topic. I have one called Unplugged that I love. It covers from toddlers to older children. Good luck and I hope you have many crazy nights of fun and laughter.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• cont..as far as you and your husband relaxing for a few minutes. ha. Its called bedtime. seven is not too early. So play them out, tucker them until they can't stand it, give them so much attention - and then when they are bed the adults can play.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My two yr old likes it when I put him in the high chair and tape paper to the tray and let him color...or I give him playdough and cookie cutters they both like that...thank God for hard wood floors. We watch a few fav shows on Noggin...backyardagains and toot and puddle to name a few.
    Sorry but at this age you are just going to have to give them all your attention...and enjoy every moment they are in bed!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have a 1 and 6 year old and DD likes to make forts with chairs and blankets and then they both go in and play. Give them a flash ligh or glow sticks and turn out the lights in a room and let them play. i remember my parnts used to give my brother and me glow sticks and we would turn out the lights and toss them back and forth to each other or write out name in the air. It was a lot of fun and I think they are pretty cheep.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009