Pressure for pregnant women to be 'cute pregnant.'

I'm 30 wks. and finally really showing and I've noticed how many people will make comments like: "oh, at least you look pregnant and not just fat" or "how lucky, you're a cute pregnant lady, so and so just looks really fat." It's irritating how women never get a break, we're even expected to be slim and cute when we're pregnant! I feel the pressure to be 'cute pregnant' and not gain a ton of weight cause I know people would secretly (or not so secretly) look down on me if I did. What's funny about this, is that the same people who make such comments will push fatty food on me because pregnant women apparently get to "eat whatever they want.' It's a no-win situation sometimes!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What was the question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• tell me about it cant they just leave us be and let us gain weight and whatever. Some of us get lucky we carrry our babies all out front and doesnt look like we gained anything others dont big deal a pregnant belly is a pregnant belly and i think they are all cute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hey, the only people who look cute pregnant are those little Asian women. Other than that, forget it. They are lying to make you feel better. There is nothing cute about being pregnant, only being extremely uncomfortable! I see what you mean though.. I see so many girls out there who have their bellies sticking out under their t-shirts and still TRYING to wear regular clothes. I personally think they look like baby hughey! Gross! Put it away, NO ONE wants to see that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Just take everything with a grain of salt and ignore negativity. It does you no good anytime, much less when you are pregnant.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• haha, I am a little Asian woman, or rather, a little half-Asian woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Everyone i think is cute when they are pregnant. Some women find the need to flaunt there bellies more then others and hey if you do happen to have that perfectly round belly and slender waste line then more power to you but hey we all know ladies that when that baby comes out its just going to be a flabby belly lol.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I just had an old man call me chunky this morning at work! It's hard not to be a little chunky when your 61/2 months pregnant! I don't have a perfectly round "cute" belly so he probably didn't notice that I was pregnant. I was still horrifed and have felt terrible since.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i gained 75lbs when i was pregnant... everyone still told me i looked cute, and even if they hadnt, i never felt more beautiful in my entire life
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am the same way. I absolutely love it. Enjoy it. This is one of the only times people will admire you for being thin and not "You look sickly thin"..
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Oh god yes. I even get disapproving looks from other pregnant women who are smaller than me and whose bellies look like a damn basketball in their tops.

Im sorry that I was big to begin with, lol. But apparently, big girls aren't allowed to be cute when they're pregnant.

And I'm with you, Anonymous 11:28, let's not purposely walk around with our stomachs out. Um ew. And when you can't button your pants it's time to buy maternity ones. But I guess that blue waistband is too ugly for them.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 3:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009