Kids close together in age

Does anyone have any advice about having kids close together in age? I have a 10 1/2 month old and just found out that I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I'm nervous that having 2 so close in age will be tough on me and them. Can we transition our older daughter to a toddler bed before she's 2 and the baby comes - can they share a room - how will I be able to care for my older daughter while breastfeeding and recovering from a c-section??? I'm full of questions and am very nervous! And advice is greatly appreciated!

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've got 7 and the first 2 are only 11 months apart, all of it is do-able, and you have some great advice already. The one thing I have to add is that any big changes you are going to do, like changing from bed to crib..etc,. make sure you do before the baby comes. This will hold back any resentment. One other point is to learn to be flexible now, it will come in real handy down the road.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The 1-2 children transition is hardest.
    You'll do it, get organized in advance and it makes everything easier. I loved my kids close together.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have 5 kids, some close together some not. My sons are 15 mths apart and remember feeling the same way. They always shared a room until they became teens and had different interests. You actually will be ok and so will they. They will play together and to me there are perks to close together kids. You get all the diapers, diaper bags, carseats etc all out of the way at once.

Answer by gemgem at 11:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My first two were 16 months apart. My son was too young to be jealous I think. You just prepare ahead of feeding time. Give older child 'feeding toy' (something special only during that time) or snack. You will learn how to have two on your lap and everything. It will work out great and they will be close. Mine have seperate rooms but still want to sleep in same. You can try to move to toddler bed or you can use bassinet for a while for baby. I cosleep so I'm no good in that area. Hope this helps. Message me for anythin
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 11:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have 3 close in age....33 months oldest to youngest. The age gaps are 22 months and 11 months.

Yes, they can be out of the crib before two. Ours were out at 15 months.

It's going to be tough, sure. Sometimes. But other times it's going to go smooth as silk. The best thing I can say is to accept help if offered...and keep a routine for the older one, work the baby into that routine.

Make sure to get some "me" time.....and sleep when they sleep.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It worked for me! I have two sons, 12 1/2 months apart, and I didn't have any problems! My oldest son was in his toddler bed at 9 months, and about a month ago they began to share a room when my youngest was 3 months, and my oldest was 16 months. We haven't had any problems, other than my youngest wakes up with toys in his crib ;)
    I think it's better this way, when you're done with diapers, you're done!
    kittiselly28

Answer by kittiselly28 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My middle boys are less than 13 months apart.

For the first few months, the younger one was in a bassinett in my room & then moved to a crib in the living room. Once he started sleeping more at night, we moved him in to share the room with the older one. You learn to juggle a lot LOL -- I can remember being propped up with a NB nursing in a boppy pillow while feeding the 13 mo old in a highchair --- good thing nobody had a camera around here then! Haha

You'll just need extra help the first 2-3 wks and absolutley NO picking up the older one for about 6 wks. That shouldn't be a problem by then...she'll be climbing up on furniture & stuff on her own. You'll have it easier than I did --- my older one wasn't even walking yet when the next one was born.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• All of it will work out well enough. My advice to you would be to line up some help - friends, family, neighbors - for when you first come home after having a c-section. The recovery is more difficult than a vaginal delivery and there's no way you'll be able to do much of anything those first 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have 6 kids and some far apart and my youngest boys are only 13 months apart. You can pm me if you want or add me and I will be happy to help and support you all I can...Oh btw I am 42 so if I can do this old you can too!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• just start early on the transition, me and my sister are 10 months apart (yes my parents were in a hurry) and my mom bf'd us both, sure, long road ahead but if you are concerned about the bfing part, you can go to the La leche league site and they have tons of moms in your position, and lots of advice on positions, and such ....good luck and congrats!!
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 11:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2009