im expecting and i get lots of heartburn.what should i drink or do to try to get rid of my painful heartburn

MrsColon

Asked by MrsColon at 11:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Health

• My doctor prescribed me extra strength pepcid, which worked for my first pregnancy, but with my second baby it was awful!! I took Prilosec OTC and it was wonderful! I had a prescription, but you can buy it over the counter, works like a charm!
    kittiselly28

Answer by kittiselly28 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I always get hearturn when I am pregnant and I found that TUMS worked very well for me.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 11:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• drink lots of water inbewteen meals and not during., try pineapple (I liked frozen pineapple), or some papaya helps too. chew your food well, and eat slowly, eatrs almonds or chew on orange peels after meals. thats all I can think of right now.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i chug milk, helps more than the meds for me... water makes it worse for me.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Like PP said , drink lots of cold water. Me, coming from a hispanic family, took stuff that came from Mexico. Its called Picot and it worked wonders for me. Its a Mexican form of Alka Selzer and it comes in small packets w/powder.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I took Zantac for mine before meals and if it hit me afterward I would take TUMS. I like the TUMS Smoothies. Mine started to act up again over my holiday week off and I just drank milk and snacked on a slice of bread here and there. It helped but it wasn't as severe as it was my first trimester. I had to rely on the Zantac and TUMS then.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I TOOK PRILOSEC OTC IT WAS GREAT OVER THE COUNTER BUT EXPENSIVE.
    MOMMY2LILBEAR

Answer by MOMMY2LILBEAR at 2:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was on Pepcid, and I took Tums to squelch the bad times. I also found that chocolate, caffeine, citrus, and fried, fatty foods made it worse. Also, try to eat small, frequent meals, and stay upright after eating for at least 30 minutes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You can also try eating vinegary foods, because it will help neutralize the stomach acid.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009