Why scare people into faith?

As a young teen, a man came to my house and told me because i had not accepted jesus(actually the term he used was "saved") that when i die, i would burn in the fires of hell forever. at the time, we went to an episcopal church that did not ever speak of being saved. i was only 13 at the time and was terrified of the adult condemning me. i to this day refuse to accept any organized religion based on the unreliability of facts..the bible has changed too much for me to believe. i have noticed in the years since, that religious groups use fear as a means to attract members, but i would expect that the good that faith could bring would be a more attractive offer. why do religious groups (for the most part, i see this in chrisitianity but i am sure there are others) use fear as a way to create faith?? is it true commitment if the person just doesn't want something bad to happen? what happened to just plain ol faith??

KEHMom

Asked by KEHMom at 11:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• how the hell else are you going to get people to believe shit that dumb?
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 6:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There are some people who do seem to think if you are scared into being saved then you will be. I always try and just tell people the Truth as I believe it. If I am ASKED what happens when I die then I will tell them if you deny Christ and dont accept him then it says you WILL go to hell. If I am not asked then normally I dont say anything.

Answer by gemgem at 11:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• honestly telling me im going to burn in hell after i die doesnt scare me i mean come on now we are already dead and i dont believe in life after death but i do understand where you are coming from. Why scare people into being saved? Shouldnt they use another technice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Fear has been shown to work to control the masses in many ways.
    I think its partly that, its partly what they are taught and its part that they feel they are meant to spread the "word" and that includes telling people where they will go if they dont believe what they are teaching.

Just weird overall and very unkind.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I totally agree with you in fact reading your question was like reading something I would write. I also don't believe in religion, I believe in God and that's all I need to do.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I dont think thats true that everyone does it. I know I dont and I know my church doesnt do that. Lumping everyone who is christian or believes in christ is just as judgmental and prejudice as lumping all blacks, whites, jews or muslims in the same category based on using stereotyping. That too is very wrong and unkind.

Answer by gemgem at 11:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• kinda ot, but there's a "fear house" that a church does somewhere. I watched a documentary about it one day when nothing was on lol. But this church makes a haunted house of sorts at Halloween, of people getting abortions, killing themselves, doing drugs, whatever, and shows them being tortured in "hell." Now THAT is a scare tactic lol!!
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• oh I forgot to add at the end of the haunted house, they have people there to have them say the little pledge, I accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour, yadda yadda. There's quite a few who say the prayer!!
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• "Fear" has been a weapon of choice thru-out history wither it's used in politics or religion or in the "name of" .... and people over the yrs have perfected the use of "Fear" and it's sad, but a lot of religions use this to get people into their doors... ( not all ) but unfortunately you see it more than the good making people walk thru church doors...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Your reason for not being a part of organized religion is the same reason my Mom doesn't believe. She was raised Catholic, but her father left her mother -- in the 50s. My grandmother was left with 4 girls, the youngest mentally handicapped. As a single woman in the 50s the church turned their back on her, she had failed in her wifely duties to keep her husband happy and that's why HE left her. She was no longer welcomed, but as a hard core Catholic she continued to send her girls. My Mom was told that her Mother was going to burn in Hell. Repeatedly. Keep in mind - my Grandmother did nothing wrong. He couldn't handle having a special needs child and left. The church even implied (at that time) that SHE did something wrong and that's why the youngest was handicapped. Needless to say, my Mom has no love for churches or organized religions and their ridiculous judgmental idiots.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009