?? for those with a tubal???

i am planning my second c section for april this year !( YEAH!) and planning a tubal as well while i am all open.... that is all set up.... thank god. so i wont have to use bc right?? and do you still get your periods after the tubal?? thanks so much!!! also any advice other than the old "dont do it" would be greatly appreciated!

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Health

• Takes effect immediately... no BC.... still get periods.

Your pain will be worse following a section+tubal (I wasn't ready for that part... didn't think I'd notice... But ya DO)... Also, be sure to discuss with your Dr exactly WHICH procedure he/she will be performing on you... make sure they're doing the one you want them to. Some Drs tie them off... some just snip them... and some actually remove a portion of the tube(s) and burn them. If you think you ever even remotely might want to try a reversal ... you don't want them to do the burning thing.

And.. this isn't a "don't do it"... but I would encourage you to research PTLS before you go through with the procedure. I REALLY wish someone had told me to do that.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yes you do get a period after a tubal. I had one in 2006. Read all the paperwork they give you. There is one thing you can get and most women with tubals I know do. Its harder period cramps and worse pms. They say its 1 in 4 but I suspect its alot higher bc most women dont complain about cramps and what not. I havent met anyone who hasnt had worse cramping and pms that had a tubal.

Answer by gemgem at 11:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Generally, you won't have to use bc, no. That's the point of the tubal: permanent bc. If you have a hormonal problem, they may have you on bc briefly to even things out, like if your periods are irregular or something. Yes, you will still get periods. Some get periods that are worse than before, some that are better, some that stay the same as always. The only other advice I have (and I know you said no "don't do it" advice, but...), just be sure. I won't say don't do it, but just be sure it's really what you want. My dr. told me to be sure not only that I didn't want more kids with the current hubby, but that if I divorced or were widowed, to consider if I would want more children in that case. Otherwise, good luck and congrats on the new baby that's coming!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had a tubal 22 years ago. Yes still have my period, no never used birthcontrol after the tubal. Never got pregnant again either.

Answer by louise2 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• thanks!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009