Breastfeeding -> Full Term nursing/ Child-Led Weaning: After practicing full term nursing was the delivery of you next child easier, shorter in length and/or less painful?

While I have only delivered one child (19.5 months) who is currently still nursing, I have a theory and I'm "searching for data". I know that oxytocin causes milk ejection and uterine contraction. Therefor, every time a mother nurses her child the uterus (a muscle) gets a work out. In theory (especially if the mother nurses through pregnancy), the uterine muscle should be better toned and prepared for the act of delivery.

hillmom

Asked by hillmom at 12:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Health

• I think the theory of that is very good, but I think that because each labor is so different on its own, it would be very hard to compare that and prove anything significant. Even with each person each labor can be on complete opposites of the spectrum. For example, It would be hard to show that that 3rd birth was easier or harder because of the previous 2 full term breastfeeding experiences because you don't know how easy or hard it would have been without them. I am full term breastfeeding my first and only. I will not have anymore, so I will never have a personal experience to test this with.
    flora52

Answer by flora52 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hmm, I see where you are coming from but I have had 7 children and it really doesn't apply at all , so many things factor into labor and delivery it's anybodies guess what will happen .

My labors were all about the same length in time, all were relatively comfortable , until I went over 4 children then strange things started to happen . I nursed all my kids (except the first) for 8-24 months when they weaned themselves...
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I bf my first girl until about 18 months. She was bf only until 6 months, and she nursed less frequently up until 18 months or so. At that time she was still nursing, but I don't think milk was the point (since I had almost none), I think it was the act. So we weaned, and it was very easy. My labor with Abby was about 5 hours.

I just had my second girl in Sept. The labor was very fast, less than 2 hours for active labor. I think the pain factor was the same (I did not have meds with either). I know after delivery, the pain and cramping was way worse with #2 than with my #1.

HTH!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 12:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was still nursing my almost 2 year old when i gave birth to my son and his labor was a lot harder...
    imthemama0608

Answer by imthemama0608 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I breastfed my daughter til she was 21 mos, even through pregnancy, she self weaned, I gave birth to my son, so the labor seemed easier and shorter by like 3 hours..
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 6:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2009