High school dropouts responsible for 70% of crime in this country-

Does that surprise you? Why or why not.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That's bs jackie, I am a drop out and my home life was pretty stellar with parents involved in all aspects of my life. *I* have never been arrested , never commited a crime other then the lead foot i have sometimes lol. So don't lump all drop outs in the same category because in the end it makes you look like the ignorant one.

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

No one lumped all dropouts together. It says 70% not 100% AND it's 70% of crimes are comitted by dropouts, not 70% of dropouts commit crimes.  It's just as ignorant to be combative and defensive because you misinterpret a post.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• The reasons that people drop out of highschool are often the same reasons they are unsuccessful in life. Poor impuls control, inadequate problem solving skills, and poor anger management. These things all lead to a lack of social skills, an essestial component of being a successful student or productive member of society.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• i Believe it. Im not surprised at all. I went to school 4 years ago and the dropouts were causing trouble and they couldnt get a decent job so how else are they supposed to make money. So i imagine that its even worse now with the economy they way it is.
    Shortma197

Answer by Shortma197 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• Nope, not at all. What do people think a person who is not suitable to hire is going to do? I work at a middle school. I have students who are 16, in the 6th grade, and just waiting to drop out. Now, I talk and talk and talk trying to get these kids to understand the life choice they are making. No, they are dropping out, hanging out, doing drugs, drinking, bored, and finding entertainment. What do people expect when education, teachers, schools, and obeying authority are all looked on as the enemy, to be spat upon, and not given any value by so much of society. I read posts on here where moms cursed at teachers. How do you think the children of these moms are going to perform/act in school?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• No problem. :) These are just stats and stats open the door for interesting conversations. The problem comes in when people start to get wrapped up in the statement without the qualifier. The stats don't say *ALL* they say a high percentage do. . .

TO answer your actual question, though, no it does not surprise me. There are many factors involved in the choice to drop out - in some instances, those very factors are also at-risk behaviors for crime. The same risks linked to dropping-out are also at-risk factors for criminal behavior. While law-breakers come in all flavors, lower-income communities statistically have higher crime rates. Lack of high school diploma yields a greater risk of poverty. I don't think being a drop out or being poor or being any one thing predisposes one to a life of crime. I do think its' one factor, one 'risk factor' that contributes to risk. Kwim?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• Sure I believe it . I don't know what the article says about this but the dropping out is just part of a bigger problem that most likely is already well into effect. It's not the dropping out that turns a child into a crime statistic it's the home life and the peer association that causes the dropping out possibly even after illegal behavior has become a way of life.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• If it helps to know the OP isn't pulling stats out of the air, there's this recent story in FORBES:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmarshallcrotty/2011/10/12/gop-presidential-debate-ignores-economic-elephant-in-room-high-school-dropouts/

It quotes multiple studies citing crime rates, earning potential and other non-flattering stats related to level of education.  Mrs_Harsh, the stats nor the OP are saying ALL drop-outs fall into these categories. They are simply saying a majority when compared to graduates fall into those categories. You may be financially secure and an upstanding citizen - you would also not be the in the majority of this educational category.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• In the linked article "According to research by Princeton Economics Professor Cecilia Rouse, over the course of his or her lifetime, each high school dropout costs this country approximately $260,000. When you consider that dropouts are 68% more likely to rely on public assistance and 20% more likely to engage in violent crimes, and that 75% of crimes nationally are committed by high school dropouts, and the vast majority of young murder victims are also dropouts (in San Francisco alone, the figure is 94%), you see the connection between high school graduation rates and public expenditures on law enforcement, prisons, health care, welfare, childcare, and more."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• cont: if children are not taught to respect their teachers and not told they should value education, they usually fail as adults. I have such sympathy for teachers nowdays. Its a thankless job. AND uneducated kids are trouble.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2011

• Yes, Cause i know plenty of drop outs who are productive members of society & have never been in trouble other then minor things like traffic violations.

So you know some of the thirty percent.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2011