Potty Training Help Please!!

My son turned 2 in November and has been doing pretty good with potty training. He knows when he goes and pretty much always tells me afterward but I am having a hard time getting him to tell me BEFORE he goes. So far he only makes it in there to go if I ask him every few minutes. How can I get him to tell me on his own that he needs to go? Thanks ladies!

midnight_star22

Asked by midnight_star22 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This used to be my son. He did the same thing. He would even use to potty sometimes. I thought I would pull my hair out but I let him move at his own pace. Right after christmas this year, he just said I need to use the potty and have been going ever since. Not one accident! He even wears his big boy undies.
    mrstmjd4

Answer by mrstmjd4 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Its different with my son,
    He will ask me if he can go potty and I tell him all the time you dont have to tell me go ahead and go but he still does it.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• That is a normal stage in the potty training process. He is just getting to know his body. It might take a few more months for him to recognize that he has to go before he actually goes! During that phase, I just tried to keep my son interested and let him move forward at his own pace. Then one day, he just didn't want to wear diapers anymore, so he didn't. Just be patient and supportive and give lots of praise.
    moma16412

Answer by moma16412 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2009