Early Labor, and checking to see if you're dilated...

I've been having pretty regular pains for a while now and over Christmas was even concerned I was actually going into labor early, and called my doctor to talk to him. I'm 36 weeks now and just went into the doctor this morning but he didn't bother to check to see how we're progressing or anything and doesn't even bother to really talk to me. Did anyone else ever have issues like this. I'm really concerned because my doctor hasn't really talked to me throughout the entire pregnancy at all, is this normal? This is my second child, but I never had any issues or complications with my first and my midwife was absolutely wonderful, unfortunately i wasn't able to go to her again for this pregnancy.

kealydees

Asked by kealydees at 12:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is no reason to check for dilation , if your pregnancy is normal and your child is fine .
    If the doctor does check early (before 37 weeks) and you are in early labor it could bring on full fledged labor , your child isn't ready to be born yet so it makes sense the doctor doesn't want to 'stir things up' so to speak.
    I would voice your opinion about the lack of communication though . He should be talking to you and keeping you informed - Ask questions , you have every right to get the answers you need.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If you are really concerned about the pain you are having and you feel your dr is no help you should call L&D And see what they want you to do.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP 100% I asked my doctor about checking at 36 weeks, as the previous poster mentioned - they don't like to stimulate the cervix because they can actually end up bringing on labor. My doctor doesn't start "checking" until 37 weeks since you're full term at that point. Communication is as much on you as your doctor -- ask questions! If you don't understand an explanation ask more questions.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would ask the Doc. more questions. I know my midwives don't volunteer any info. unless I ask them. They don't know what you want to hear unless you ask!
    Anonymous