Dryer versus Hang Dry

My mom always hung up clothes around the house, it helped with the humidity in the house, but really to save on the dryer cost. BUT my question nowadays with energy efficient appliances does anyone still hang up their clothes? I am pondering wether to use the dryer or hang dry. Thanks!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I only hang up clothes that might shrink in the dryer such as sweaters or certain shirts otherwise I always use the dryer.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I hang sweaters and jeans and delicates and dry everything else.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I hangonly delicates, lay sweatewrs flat and everything else is dryer friendly. <00Hung way too may clotheslines full before I turned 25
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I dry towels to keep them soft for use. I dry shirts, pants, and tops for about 10 minutes to get them a little softer then hang them to help avoide needing to iron them. Washcloths and other things that I don't care if they are soft, in the summer I'll dry all the way to keep from introducing more humidity into the house, but in the winter they get hung around to help put humidity into the house, and to save electricity and money. Bedding I usually dry all the way, since I put it right back on the bed after drying. But some big blankets that aren't quite dry when the sheets are, I'll hang over the kitchen chairs to finish drying- again to save electricity.

Answer by Bmat at 1:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The only thing I always hang is DH's shirts/sweatshirts.Otherwise,they shrink in the dryer.Not sure why his do & the rest of our's don't,but I do know I got tired of his shirts shrinking.Anyway,in the summer,I line dry everything except towels.I am not drying my delicate skin with a sandpaper towel!!LOL.
    m0m23b0ys458

Answer by m0m23b0ys458 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Very good topic. I don't see anything wrong w/ hanging clothes in the house or outside in the summer i now hang sheets on the doors cuz I feel drying those is a big waste of money, but for humidity purposes is also good.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 2:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Nothing in this world smells better than sheets and towels dried by the sunshine. I grew up in a home where my mom hung the laundry in the spring and summer, but used a dryer in the fall/winter to help heat the house. I am asking my husband to put me up a clotheline in the backyard so I can dry my stuff in the summer time.
    Anonymous

• i dry everything... i know it will end up ruining my clothes but i do it anyways... most of the time i need it pretty quick and hang drying just takes too long
    mandy8044

Answer by mandy8044 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Since moving to Virginia where it is 3 times more expensive to live than Oregon. In the summer I line dry everything. In cold weather I hang dry the majority of things and use the dryer very little.
    Rebecca02

Answer by Rebecca02 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I hang dry all my work clothes and basically all my tops, and dh's work shirts. I feel they last longer, and don't shrink as much. Towels, dh's t-shirts, unders and socks all get dried. Same with dd- I hang some of her nicer tops, and dry the rest.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009