Why are some people so messed up?

Dad lets nine year drive his van because he's too drunk. People at a gas station called police when they saw the girl climb in behind the wheel and drive off with her dad in the passenger seat.

The saddest part is this girl acted like she's been doing this for along time.  When the police pulled her over she thought she had done something wrong.  She is so used to taking care of her dad, now she'll be taken away from him, rightfully so,  devastating for the little girl. 

Link

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• People are messed up for a lot of reasons--most of them having to do with an emptiness that they try to fill with all kinds of harmful substances and activities. There is a lack in their lives that they either are trying to fill or they are trying to kill every sense that reminds them of their lack. It's a sad state in which to live, and it's even sadder that so many other innocent people are being affected, as in the case of this little gril.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• I just saw that...so sad. One of the worst things a parent can do is put adult responsibility on a child. And to put her life in danger like that. She doesn't even live with him, so he couldn't put down the bottle for one weekend long enough to be with her? He's got issues.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• Some people are just messed up. Some people have potential but piss poor parenting screws them up. And it passes from generation to generation
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• Sadly, this type of thing is pretty common. I've seen 13 year olds picking their parents up from the small town bar like they've been doing it forever.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• Probably because the guy is an alcoholic so he sees nothing wrong with what he did. He could also have underlying medical mental problems since 1 in 4 people do. They tend to be messed up and self medicate. Hopefully he can sober up now and address whatever got him to this point and get his dd back.

Answer by gemgem at 8:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• She was only visiting her father. Her mother has custody. He will not be getting her back, since he never had her to begin with. However, after he faces the several charges that he deserves, he may eventually be able to get his unsupervised visits back.

Now, my opinion is this. He needs to be thrown UNDER the jail for putting his daughter in that position. I feel so bad for this girl. And did the mother know what was going on? If so, why did she let it continue? She had to have known, because I don't know of any 9 year old that wouldn't tell their mother, "Daddy let me drive the van this weekend! All by myself!"

Some people these days....
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• People have been messed up for a long time. My step-dad used to have to go get his uncles from the bars at age 11 or so. My ex used to have to drive his dad home from the bars around the same age.

I remember kids coming to school and telling about being left outside the bars in the car while daddy got his paycheck cashed.

This is not new.
    mrsgino

Answer by mrsgino at 10:18 AM on Oct. 18, 2011

• I learned how to drive when I was 9 years old....but it was on a farm to help with harvest...NEVER to drive my drunk dad around town.

What I found interesting is how that dad had a good sense while he was drunk to NOT drive, BUT had NO sense when it came to placing that responsibility on his 9 year old daughter. Bizarre.
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2011