How do we go from one child to two smoothly? Our son is 2 years old and whenever our next child arrives, he will no longer be the "one & only". Thanks!

Mom050601

Asked by Mom050601 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That was a hard thing for me to deal with.I found I was a breastfeeding mother with a 9 month old and pregnant!I had no idea how I was going to handle it.I felt bad for my 9 month old son!Luckily my girl was born when my son was 16mts-and she was the best baby ever-I was very blessed.The hardest part was going shopping.My husband worked alot and i can remember taking both kids to the ob/gyn in the double stroller and having my post baby pap!It's hard but you will adapt!Good luck!
    hollid

Answer by hollid at 10:46 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My 2 oldest sons are 19mo apart and I agree with hollid.... shopping was way harder that how the older one handled not being baby. While I was pregnant, we talked about the baby like he was already a part of the family. And we only said positive, exciting things. When his brother finally came he was sooooooo excited. I have so many pics of him kissing the baby. I can't even get them to sit next to each other without touching or annoying each other now. lol Enjoy them while they are babies, because siblings that close will undoubtedly (sp?) bicker and fight. Well... that's been my experience anyway! Good luck. You are going to have a lot of fun with them, but it's not easy!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• When we brought our second daughter home, we brought a baby doll home to our oldest daughter. Anything I did to the baby, Mollie did to the baby doll. Since you have a son, you may want to have him get diapers, burp clothes and clothes. Let him help you and feel involved. Mollie says Caitlin is "her" baby becuase she helped so much. They are very loving with each other because we told Mollie how she was going to have to be a big sister and show Caitlin the ropes. We try to be only positive and tell Mollie how good she is and I think that seems to help. Good luck - you'll do great!
    mandcmom

Answer by mandcmom at 11:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• When I was pregnant with #2 anytime I bought anything for the new baby I bought one for my oldest. When I bought baby a new stroller, I bought one for her babies. Then when we did anything with the baby she got to do the same thing with her baby. She felt so big. She even would try to BF her baby dolls!! LOL it was cute.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 7:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I think a way to make it easier on your son would be to get him excited about being The Older Brother. When you buy things for the baby tell him "When your babt brother/sister comes you can help Mommy push them in the stroller like a Big Brother does!" If you keep him busy and make him feel like he has a special job like being the best Big Brother ever than I think it will make the transition easier. I hope this helped :)
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2008