C-Section questions

Well, I hadn't really thought about having a c-section before since my last birth went really smoothly, but I had a few curve balls thrown my way at my appt today.

First, I've been having horrible pressure under my pubic bone and when he checked, it wasn't the head...he thinks it is a shoulder or elbow. I go in Wednesday for an ultrasound for positioning.

Second, he estimated the weight as a heavy eight or light nine. I don't know what the hell a "light nine" pound baby is...but I'm sure its easier to say than it is to push out of your vagina.

Anyway, I guess I would rather have my stomach stitched back together than my ass, but can you choose whether or not to be put under? If they're worried about my blood pressure now...try while I'm awake for my stomach getting sliced open. I'll give myself a heart attack.

So will I get this choice and what else should I know?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its all on how you feel what's safer for you and your baby. I've had an emergency c-section because my son's position was bad like your daughters and it was horrible having the wrong part of the body coming out of your vag. I'm not going to say that will happen to you but there's always a possiblity. I wish I would have known that my son's position was bad or I would have considered a section, considering my labor was so long my uterus wouldn't contract, causing bleeding. But you may be different. I'm just giving you my experience. I wouldn't jump to a section if her position changes but I'd consider my options. My section hurt pretty bad for the first couple of days and by the third day I was walking around slowly. By the time I came home from the hospital, I was driving and everything but I heal fast and have a good pain threshold.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They will not put you under for a C Sect unless it's a really big emergency and they don't have time for an epidural. When they sedate you it also sedates your baby and can cause major breathing issues for the little one.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• No decent doctor would allow an elective c-section .
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure if you can choose to be put out during the C-Section. I know when I had mine, I was completely numb from the stomach down and didn't feel a thing at all. And being awake was great because you still get to see and hear the baby when it's out. I would definitely ask your doctor about the option of being put under if that's the way you want to go. Other than that..........the first two weeks after totally sucked.........but wasn't horrible. You have to figure, they are going to cut thru your muscles too and therefore, when you go to get up or roll over it's gonna hurt like the dickens. Although, I'm glad I had one! LOL! My son was 8lbs 15oz.........I'm glad I didn't push that out! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Anon:

I don't think it's an elective C Sect. She stated that there was issues with the positioning of the baby and possibly an issue with the baby being rather large. I believe her choice was about sedation not whether she can ask for a C Section. If I'm wrong OP please correct me because I based my firt answer on that.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ok, not so much elective as you can't give birth to a child BACK first...didn't effin ask about that...asked if you could elect to get put under.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• lol...thank you southerncharmes...I'm a little freaked out and not in the mood for a critique on things.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• No you cant unless they HAVE too.
    Anonymous

• They may give you the choice if your stressed over the c/section.
    I have had two c/sections. One was an emergency and the other was scheduled. The planned one was very calm and almost relaxing to a point. If you think there is an increased chance you'll end up with a c/section I would go the planned route.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 2:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Cont..
    You get there an hour or two early, they hook you up to an IV and ask you a bunch of questions. The doctor checks in with you before you move to the OR. When it's time, roll you on the bed into the OR, you move to the table. Your spinal is put in while the nurses and doctors talk to you and get everything ready. You lay down, they put up a screen so you can't see. They may tape your arms down, your SO will come in and sit by your head. You'll also have a doctor by your head talking to you. They will double check if you can feel where they want to cut and then they start. It's a matter of minutes, but feels like seconds before you hear the baby. They clean the baby up and hand him/her to SO to show you. You visit for a minute or two then they baby and SO leave the room while you are cleaned/closed up. Sure it's not ideal, but it's really not that scary either.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 2:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009