How old when they started to walk or talk?

I know every kid is different. My son just turned 9 months and he started walking at 8 months and 27 days.
I heard this before -- I am not sure if it is true or not. Kids who started walking early will be a late talkers. I heard they can only be good at one or the other. I am just curious -- since my son started walking so early, am going to wait really long before I hear him say "Mommy"?

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 1:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure that's not true! As your stated in the beginning every kid is different ...so start believing it! My daughter started walking at 13 months and started saying a lot of words at 16 months....I would say she was behind on both compared to everything I was reading on here from other moms! ...so worth the wait though : ) xoxoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter started walking at 9m 3d, and was using complete sentences by 18m.

My son started walking at 9m 14d, but didn't decided to put any effort into talking until 18m.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son was an early walker (8 months ) , he was in speech therapy for 2 years .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't worry about that, Mama, you'll make yourself crazy! While I've noticed a trend there with babies I know, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Some people are thinkers, some are movers...I've also noticed that it tends to be a difference in the sexes, though that may also be because I have more nephews than nieces. Most of them don't care to talk for awhile, but they want to get from A to B as soon as they come out. I think girls are naturally more social, so they want to talk rather than walk. Who really knows, though? :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009