Beagle that walks on me and others!!

I have a beagle that will jump up on the couch right onto my body like he doesn't even see me! (most of the time my stomach---ouch!!) He will just step on anyone like he doesn't know it hurts and when I yell at him he looks at me like he has no clue what could be wrong with ME! Please dont say "dont let him on the couch" because I dont think I could ever train him not to do that...he has been doing it too long. The big problem I have no is that I have a 3 month old baby that he just cannot step on!! Please help

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 10:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pets

• When you allow a dog on the furniture..they lose their place in their "pack like" dog behavior mind. You need to establish dominace over the dog. Right now he thinks that he is the master. Tone of voice is a good way to show him that you are the top dog! LOL Not yelling...Tone that is deep. Say "no" and mean it. Put him down while saying it. If you are consistant he will start to understand that this is a no..no! good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My dogs do that too. But if you are worried about your baby you are going to have to train your dog. There's nothing else you can do. My male dog gets very attached to me when my niece is over and I worry about the day I bring home a baby. But I know that I will just have to train him and let him get used to the baby, you have to do the same thing.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• when you find the answer to this question let me know!! i have 2 beagles and they both own the couch and trample everyone including the cat and guests just to get to their spots!! we have a love seat and a couch so the dogs are only allowed on the love seat now that we have our kiddo. to get them off the couch, we put a baby gate up on it and they woudn't get up. you've got to establish boundaries but man it takes a while for stubborn beagles to get it :)
    tylersmommy0508

Answer by tylersmommy0508 at 5:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2008