Does anyone know how to care for an avocado seed?

I plan on growing a avocado tree just to see if I can I don't have a green thumb but so far it has grown two little stems I was so surprised. I hear it takes 10 years for it to fully mature. OH my the way I love Avocados.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have mine it is now a year old. Remember that it does really well in the heat, and LOTS of water.

With mine it stayed indoors for months (from July '07 until April or May '08) because I live in a cold area, but it stayed in the window for the sun, and if it was sunny out I would put it on our porch for a couple hours. After that, around July '08, I let it stay outside exclusively until October when it started to frost at night again, and I brought it back inside at night time and only left it out during the day.

I will continue like that until we buy a house for me to actually plant it. Oh yeah, I have it loosely tied to a bamboo stick, because it can get super windy here.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Also, it is in a 3 gallon pot right now, but when we move into a house (renting - moving from an apartment) at the end of the month, I will be buying a big pot on wheels to transplant it into and let it live there until we buy a house where I can plant it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• lol I had avacados the other day and my DH is going to grow some now. YUM!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009