• In the Spotlight:

How do you keep your son from peeing all around the toilet?

Sometimes he forgets to lift the seat or just doesn't want to lift it bc he says it is nasty, even though he washes his hands afterwards. I tell him to be more careful bc then it will start to smell yucky, he says ok but he doesn't do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I told my older son that if he was going to make the mess after being taught not to, and asked a dozen times, he would be cleaning it the next time it happened. He cleaned the toilet and the floor around it (with safe, all-natural cleaner) ONE TIME at the age of about 6 (first grade), and that was it! I added, that if it continued to happen, I'd go to the bathroom with him and hold his pee pee for him like I did when he was 2 years old or he could sit on the toilet like a girl. I was very matter-of-fact in making sure this was an issue of respecting our home and being responsible.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 2:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I broke my own two boys many years ago of the not being careful and not lifting the seat. I got so frustrated I took the toilet seat off in their bathroom. Once or twice of sitting on cold prcelain or sitting in their pee made an impression. When I put it back finally I also told them I don't pee on or around the toilet and I refused to clean it. It was their job from then on. THAT too made an impression.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yep, have him clean it up.
    You might also paint a target in the bowl. Drain the water. Clean and dry the bowl really well. Use red finger nail polish to pain a target. Let it dry completely and refill.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I haven't figured out how to get the husband to not miss, but I leave the lysol wipes by the toilet and just make it a habit to go in and wipe around it regularly, my boys are good about doing it themselves if they notice they have missed.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• lol still working on it!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• When my son was little and I was teaching him how to aim, I would put a square of toilet paper in the bowl and tell him to "try and sink it!" He enjoyed the challenge (it then made aiming a game). I also know of people who have put a handful of Cheerios in the bowl and said to sink as many as they could (I think that one works for husbands too *wink*).

As for lifting the seat, we always put the lid down when we are finished...it isn't fair for him to be the only one having to lift before and drop after use.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 3:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2009