Private versus public childcare?

I've been considering taking my 3 year old out of public daycare and putting him in an at home daycare. She is licensed, with a degree etc. She has only 4 children that she watches. My question is will my son still excel and be ready for Preschool in the private setting as well as he would in a public setting with a lot more kids? Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful.

blainesmommy03

Asked by blainesmommy03 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That depends solely on your provider. I had a wonderful experience with one and a nightmare with another. Ask for references of people whose children she has kept. Find out how long they were there and why thye left. Also check her out with your state Lic. board or commision
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It depends on what the private daycare offers. Does she do a teaching time everyday? Do you think he'll benefit from the smaller setting? Do you think he'll miss the larger group? If she teaches the kids, he'll probably do just as well if not better then the daycare. Some kids learn better in smaller groups. He may miss out a little on the social interaction, but probably not much since it is still a group of children. Good Luck in your decision

PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 2:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If this home provider has a set schedule and routine and does learning activites and games everyday, then yes, he will learn just as much. He might learn more b/c its such a small setting.
    If it's just a place for kids to run around and play w/o structured activities, then he won't learn as much obviously. The only thing different b/t the public and private is the amount of kids, in your case. In a smaller setting there will be less opportunity to socialize with different cultures and with children who are handicapped or have special needs. You can explain this to him at home and help him be more accepting, so that's no big deal. The smaller setting would not require him to learn to stand in line, walk in line, and other things he will do in school, but I also feel that this is something he can adjust to in kindergarten. I don't see any problems with going to a smaller setting, if he's being active all day.
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It totally depends on the provider and what she does with them to work with them. There is a huge difference between preschool and child care. But then, you can work with him, too....it's not all up to providers and teachers to teach our kids. WE are their first teachers.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had our first in a home daycare until 2. She was great (kid and provider). She had one on one attention. I struggled with beyond 2 because of the educational needs. Fortunately, we had to move so I made that the change to a daycare/preschool. Didn't like it only because of the place itself. We then found a montessori school with extended care. Never looked back.

Pros at age 3 for a preschool with extended care is the guaranteed coverage. They have more kids to interact with. Cons... need to make sure it's good and focus on education vs. childcare.

Our second child is just a year but I had the same issue trying to figure things out with him. We ended up putting him into Kindercare because I loved that they invested in their staff (vs. teens) and the staff is great (experienced this in 2 states). Will put him into a montessori school at 3 as well.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 4:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009