Do you think that every verse in the Bible is meant to be taken literally?

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely not . It's a fairy tale .
    Anonymous

• It depends on what you mean by "literally."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• A fairy tale? There is history there too, no?

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yes and no. Some things are meant figuratively and some are meant to be taken litereally.

I take "Thou shall not kill" very literally...don't kill!

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I believe that the Bible has to be taken in it's entirety; you can't just take one verse as a stand alone. I think that you also have to see the Bible from the historical view too. What was common practice in society at those times? I also believe that the entire Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. What He says He means for then and for today and always.

MyBelovedOnes

Answer by MyBelovedOnes at 2:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I also need to add, there is a lot of prophetic scripture that is written in imagery meaning that what the prophets saw was beyond their ability to understand so they had to use what they had to describe future-time events (ie. a giant locust for a helicopter). So, the writing seems "fairy tail-ish" but only because of a lack of understanding how to describe what they were seeing in their visions.

MyBelovedOnes

Answer by MyBelovedOnes at 2:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• No I dont, but that goes also with the Quran and the Torah, I think its a form of extremeism if you take EVERY WORD literally...
    Anonymous

• I don't- I view it in a historical light, just like other sacred texts of religions. It was fun studying it and interpreting it in college, but I don't take any religious text literally. Some people do, and my opinion is, if you take one passage literally, you must take the whole thing literally. To me, parts of the bible (as well as other religious texts) are guides on how to live life. People can use parts or all to inspire them in the way they live their life.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• there are parables; that is, stories we must learn from. literal translation is not a good idea as we have to take into account the advancement of society in those times (anyone ever wonder why the USA is not mentioned in the Bible?); however, Rufus in DOGMA said it best:

' Religion is a Good Idea.' However organized religion would invite discussion in my book.

jmo, chicka:)
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Not entirely. I see much of the Bible as being metephorical or story telling. I can also agree that the Bible was inspired by God, but not written by God. So those writting the books in the Bible write how they interpret God and their surroundings. Which is why whenever I read anything that is spiritual (including the Bible), I have to ask God to lead me to the truth He wishes for me to hear and learn. I don't expect "dead guys" of the past to reveal that truth to me. Only God can do that.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2009