hello, my son is 22 months old and he is having a hard time speaking is this ok.

i was starting to worry. he can say simple words like mama,no,oh,hi,ect. is this okay. And another problem is he still wakes up for juice i try to give him water but he wont go back to sleep with out it. it really drains me. What should i do?

tavie082

Asked by tavie082 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what do you think about letting him cry it out? I know its hard especially since he can yell for you but maybe if he learns you wont come in there he'll stop waking through the night. And as for talking I think all kids are different and learn at their own pace. Just read to him and stuff. I have an in home daycare and my 18 month old talks a lot more then one of my kids that is almost a year older then him. Every child is different. I hope this helps :(
    Manda_62007

Answer by Manda_62007 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Most kids this age don't say complex words well. "Banana" becomes "na" or "nana", "Balloon" becomes "oon" or "ba". Sometimes the sounds a child uses for a word don't have anything to do with the real word. For example, my daughter used "dee" for "balloon" for a long time. But she used "dee" the same way, every time. I knew if we were in a store and she started pointing and shouting "dee", I'd turn around and see a balloon. So listen to what your son says very hard. Does he make the same sound, every time, for something? Then that's his word for it. He'll learn to say the proper word as he gets older. When he points and shouts "dee" you just reply "yes, I see the big purple balloon. Do you see the star on the balloon. His speech will get better in time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had a nephew, who at age 3 could only grunt. Mama was "MAAAA". All of a sudden at age 3.25, he just started talking... a lot.

At 3.5 he talks like my daughter did when she was 2.5. Girl vs. boy if you will?

If you have questions... get your son to the doctor and MAKE them get you into an Early Involvement program (EIP i think). If my child wasn't speaking by 18 months the way I thought he should, I'd FIGHT for that... if for any reason, to have a SPECIALIST (nOt my pediatrician) validate that everything is on track. A specialist can 1) tell you you're on track 2) tell you proper milestones so you can guage better or 3) tell you there's an actual problem and get you sorted out.

My own issue is that my daughter has always been tall/big. I fought for a pediatric nutritionist to simply validate that we are doing everything right because I got tired of people telling me there might be something wrong.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• For the juice, trust me. He will go back to sleep. Offer him the water and leave him. Yes, he will be angry that you aren't giving him what he wants. Just like he gets mad in a store when you won't give him candy. You don't give in then, so don't give in now. Yes, it will be awful and there is nothing worse than a shrieking child in the middle of the night when you know you could quickly stop the tantrum and go back to bed yourself by giving in. Stick to your guns and give him water. The juice is bad for his teeth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• What does your pediatrician say about the talking? I'd bring it up either now or at his two year appt. He may or may not need speech therapy but it wouldn't hurt to get him evaluated.

As far as the juice thing goes, let him cry it out or give him a sippy with water to go to bed with.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• According to our speech therapist......at 2 years, they should have about 50 words and be using 2-3 word phrases. They should be able to have the correct number of syllables in a word, even though only one close approximation of sound...banana could be na-na-na for instance.

I have two in speech...they've made a lot of progress...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• As a society we are so worried that our kids aren't keeping up with the "norm". Kids are individuals. I wouldn't worry about it at this age. I can't tell you how many children I know that are all at different stages in their development. He'll speak when he's ready. In the meantime, watch for the other things that he excels at. My daughter spoke very early and very clearly, but would not play with toys. My son has fewer words than his sister did at this age, but can complete shape sorting toys and is already picky about where things go, which his sister at 4 still cares nothing about. Help him be who he is, not who society says he should be.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 3:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009