Last name dilemma

So the father of my child and I are not together but we still get along great. But since we are not together I am not sure what to do about the last name. If I hyphenate it it would be Brown-Green and I don't like the way it sounds. But I hear if the child and I do not share the same last name then this may cause problems in the future. Should I give the baby his name, just my name, of hyphenate it? Can anyone offer me any help with this situation thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it wont cause problems! but do what you think is right.. im giving lily my last name but thats cuz my baby's dad sucks!
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You could hyphenate it on the BC, then just use your last name day to day.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If you guys are not married use your last name.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I'd give him your name. You'll have full custody I'm assuming? It would be easier in that case for him to have your name. If the dad was to have full custody I'd say give him his name. You could hyphenate it if you want, but Brown-Green does sound pretty...colorful lol.
    Anonymous

• I hyphenated at first but then we got married and changed her name to just his/ours. It was so annoying to hyphenate it and somehow confuses the heck out of people.

I can't see how giving him your name or his name would cause problems but honestly if I never had any intention on marrying the guy I'd give him mine. Just what I would do :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 2:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would just use your last name...it will be easier for you two to have matching last names...explain to your ex that its not an insult to him- but it will make things easier for the baby to have the same last name as the person they are living with...jmo : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It doesn't really matter... just whatever you & he choose to do.

I'm married & my husband is the father to all my kids. Our kids have my last name.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well if you guys are still friends and he is going to be in the babies life then give him his last name. If you were to get married to someone else then if you changed your name it wouldn't be the same as your sons at least this way your son will have his fathers name. I know that in some states you can't just give him his fathers name unless he signs a paper stating he is the father of the child.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I wish that I gave my daughter both last names. I am divorced now...
    I hate the fact that she has his last name...it is a common one...I do not hate him.
    I just wish that I gave her mine and his.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I sometimes wish that I'd given my daughter my last name. The father and I are together but not married (this may be in the works soon...may be.)

I gave her his last name and sometimes I second guess myself. Honestly, if things went south with us, I'd most likely have her last name changed.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 2:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009