Am I supposed to call the doctor?

My 5 month old has a tiny cold. Just a runny nose and some congested coughs. He doesn't have a fever, is breathing and eating fine, and actually doesn't seemed bothered by it one bit. I know there's nothing the doctor can really do but do I need to call him anyway? I'd feel weird just calling and saying "My son's sick but he's okay, just letting you know".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't bother unless he runs a fever for more than 24 hours or if it is higher than 103.5 or if he has breathing issues .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I woudln't call just yet wait at see how he does, but if he gets any worse I would definately bring him in
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If your son has chest congestion, I'd call the doctor and ask if they'd like to see him. Babies can get pneumonia very quickly and the doctor might want to listen to his lungs. There's no harm in calling and asking if they think they should see him.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Thanks :-) I called anyway and the nurse said just to watch him.
    Anonymous

• My rule is if I question something then just call so at least I can stop worrying about it. And doctors get paid so much for a reason. That's what they're there for!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't, but if it would make you feel better I'd absolutely do it! My little guy recently had his first cold, and I called the doctor just to make sure that there wasn't anything else I could do for him (and there wasn't). Do you have a vaporizer/humidifier? That was the first thing I turned to when he got sick, and that was exactly what my doctor told me to do as well. Saline drops in the nose if he's stuffy are ok, too. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I really feel like pediatricians rely on the panicky parents to bring them their income. Hold strong momma, your baby will pull through just as his little body is designed to do. When my son was that age, I gave him a little colloidal silver in his breastmilk. It's just a mineral our immune systems need to fight off the "sickies". But we can't get it from any foods, so it has to come through a supplement. It's safe for babies, tastes like water, can be taken with anything, or by itself. I take some myself when my son is starting to get sick. It helps keep me from getting sick too.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 7:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009