38wks....

I went to L & D on friday night b/c my contractions were 8mins apart. They hooked me up to the monitors and kept an eye on me for 30mins. Then they checked me I was dilated to 1cm and effaced 40%. They had me walk for 2hrs around the hospital and nothing changed. They gave me a pain pill and sent me home. Well im still contracting and they are about 10 mins apart... but I am cramping horribly!!! Any Ideas??

Babyclark08

Asked by Babyclark08 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am 38wks too. I have been having contractions for 3 days have even gone to the hospital and they sent me home I went from nothing to 2cm while i was there but they gave a a shot to stop them and sent me home didnt help. I go to the dr tomorrow and I hope they do something.
    Anonymous

• they gave you a pain pill?! Anyway, I was 3 centimeters dilated for a month before I gave birth. If you are cramping horribly you could be dehydrated or are physically overexerting yourself. Drink water and rest. OR they could be braxton hicks contractions just practicing before the real thing OR they could be the real thing but being 10 minutes apart I'd say that you're not ready to go back to L&D just yet. If you are still contracting in a couple of hours and the time apart becomes gradually shorter and/or if the contractions are getting progressively stronger, call your doctor and ask for instructions. They'll probably tell you to wait it out for a while longer before you come in. Good luck! Remember that if your water breaks (big gush or slow leak) that's your definite cue to get to L&D.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It could be labor, but the very early not so active stage. You don't need to make a hospital trip until contractions are 4 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour. Then you know that you are in active labor and can go to the hospital. You shouldn't check in until 4 or more cm, your body isn't ready and the hospital will try and rush your labor, leading to all sort of interventions.

Water breaking doesn't mean you need to go in. Most women don't deliver their baby until 36 hours after their water breaks. I will find the stats. As long as you don't take a bath, insert anything, or have a vaginal exam it wont matter how long you wait to go to the hospital. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My contractions were never regular... and I took forever to dialate... it took them forever to say hey ya this is real labor!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 2:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They aren't getting closer together, so I would think that it is early labor or false labor, which could last for weeks. Just rest and hang in there... its not abnormal at all.
    Anonymous