While separated can you date other people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Hmmm... I probably wouldn't. I guess it depends on the terms of your separation. No matter what you need to let the guy your dating know that you are still married and you should give your husband the courtesy of knowing also. If you want to be with someone else, why not just get a divorce? If you are separated trying to work on things then you shouldn't be thinking about dating right now. It all just depends on the situation I guess.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can but becareful you just find what you are looking for in a person not to mention do not do it for a rebound either. Everything will feel right bc all is new but give it time, if you rush into a relationship it won't turn out good. Take ur time. You can date but keep your distance until you find out where you stand. Be patient. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• In a legal separation in some states yes you can but it does depend on the terms of the separation. If you just move out and live in another house then no you can't see other people.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think that depends on the situation of your separation. Me and my husband decided to do a separation for about 2 months just to give eachother time for ourselves and think about our relationship, we both decided not to see other people because this was suppose to be time for ourselves. Then at the end of the separation we would decide if we wanted to carry on with our marriage or go our seperate ways, and we decided to go on :)!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It really depends on why your separtated in the first place, if it is understood that you guys are free to see other people then yes I say go ahead. But if not then you guys need to discuss it before just going out and dating
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It all based on what you and your husband agree on, if your both gonna see other people then go for it.... if you have a problem with him seeing someone else or he has a problem with you seeing someone else then no you shouldnt until your divorced but if your both cool with it go ahead!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I should think before jumping in to the frying pan, you would want to focus on yourself and your child(ren) for a while?! No doubt, that if you are separated and/or planning to divorce, then there must have been some serious drama going on!

If you need the comfort and attention of a man, I suggest you see a therapist to figure out why! When I left my former fiancee 3 weeks before our wedding date, I swore off men--even innocent "coffee dates" for a FULL YEAR! Best thing I ever did! In that time I bought my OWN home, stated a new job and my OWN business, invested in the stock market for the first time (and did really well!), traveled...went skiing, SCUBA diving, lost 50 pounds, and was basically incredibly SELFISH...for ONCE in my life! Of course I didn't have children, but I think you get the idea!
    Anonymous

• My boyfriend began dating me after being legally separated for 4 months. He is now officially divorced. His wife had left him and moved out. he filed for divorce and we met a month later. It all worked out fine for us. My friends and family all warned me that I was just the "rebound girl" to him - but we've been together almost 2 years and going stronger than ever.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I believe if you know definately that you aren't going back, have found yourself an apartment, have a good job and doing well on your own.................you're ready to date. That's what I think anyway, coming from experience after being married for 20 years and then going through a separation, going back for his sake, and then leaving again. I did start seeing someone, first only through conversations on the phone, then cocktails, and then finally the big dates, of course after the second separation. If you get a legal separation then you can obviously date without hesitation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009