My 3 year old son has started biting at day-care and just today he bite a friend without provocation, is this normal?

He just started biting, he has bitten a couple of friends, one time it was because his friend did not want to hold hands while he was walking and just today he just walked up to his friend and bite him and walked away. I don't know what is going on, we keep telling him that biting is not appropriate along with hitting, spitting, slapping and getting in his friends faces. He actually bite so hard he broke skin. He has been bitten several times at this center and his previous center but he has never bitten until recently. I just don't know what to do...

firefox

Asked by firefox at 10:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Thats a Problem.
    I know for me, if some little one bit my daughter I would be pissed off. You need to figure out if he just does this out of anger, and then teach him how to redirect his anger into something else. For Example: If he's angry - Draw, hit on some Play Doh, give him a stress ball to squeeze on, or tell him when ever he gets angry to walk away and sit down till he calms down. This action will get you into trouble if you don't nip this in the bud now. Good Luck!
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 8:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2008