How do you get the smell of animal pee out of your carpet?

We have a carpet cleaner, which we use every time the dog(who's almost 11) pees or poops on the carpet. It's not often that she does it, but she has had some accidents.

I vacuum every day, but even with carpet cleaning it doesn't see to go away. We rent, and we've had an actual carpet cleaner come in. I don't know. I'm embarressed to have friends over, so I never invite anyone over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• honestly pet urine is one of he hardest things to get out of carpet. really, replacing it would be my suggestion. other than that... you can use white vinegar. good luck! i used to have a cat that was a pee'r. it's awful
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Got to Google.com and put in pet urine. There will be websites geared toward just that sort of stain removal. It can be done just have to have time and patience.
    toweringbeauty

Answer by toweringbeauty at 3:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If it has soaked through to the pad your never going to get it out. But I have used the vinegar and also I saw where you could use peroxide. I wouldn't use that on dark carpet though cause it could fade. The peroxide kills the bacterial that smells. Hope this helps. Also, for future referrence, my carpet cleaner man said if the dog pees on the carpet to put a thick dry towel over it and then lay something like a heavy book on it and the towel will soak up the pee then go back and clean the remaining stain with vinegar or peroxide. When you smash it or wet it to clean it, that pushes it down into your padding. I usually leave the book on it for at least a few hours. That seems to have worked very well for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have used straight Vinegar for cat urine and it WORKED!! You have to clean it right away.
    dlmn40

Answer by dlmn40 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009