am i wrong to get another?

i am 21 years old and have a pure bred german shepard who is about 15 my fiance, daughter, and I recently moved into an apartment which is on the third floor so, we couldn't bring him because he has bad hips, however this was the only apartment in our price range so we had little choice. My father was happy to take him as he originally lived with us anyways and dad was the one to take care of him when i was a kid, so he is well cared for, but i am trying to figure out if it is okay to get another dog. my almost three year old wants a puppy and i've never lived without a dog so i want one to. i want my dog but with the stair situation it is not an option, so is it wrong for me to get another dog (just a small one) for my daughter and i? i feel terrible

mrsmeans09

Asked by mrsmeans09 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pets

• I wouldn't have a dog in an apartment unless I carefully researched the breed and knew it would be okay as an inside dog and I had the time and motivation to walk it multiple times daily.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think if it makes you feel terrible than you shouldnt...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Dogs are great for kids. There are so many benefits. I agree that you should get a small dog but look into different breeds and find one that is right for you. Lots of small dogs can be temper mental or high strung. I have a shih tzu and she is great with both my 5 month old ds and 7 year old ss. She even lets the baby pull her hair and ears and has never snapped or growled.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting another dog. I know you feel terrible about not being able to bring your dog, but you're doing the right thing. You're putting his health first, which is very unselfish. I would just be sure you have enough time for the new puppy so he's not by himself all the time. He'll obviously needs lots of attention and exercise. Good luck!!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't think its wrong at all but do your research... NEWFOUNDLANDS are suppose to be awesome apartment dogs and are the most gentle of all dog breeds... but obviously this varies from dog to dog... but over all. You did what was best for the other dog and as long as he is well taken care of you did the right thing!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 2:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• the only reason you didnt bring your shepard is it would physically be bad for his health. thats a very good decision you've made. if you can financially afford it, do it! but i do agree i would research breeds first and make sure you're up to going up and down those stairs even more than you already half to to take puppy potty! that's Alot when they're pups!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hell no girl, get another dog/cat if you want. I can't live without animals either. But do get a small breed since you live in an apartment, and take for walks every day.

Vet tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 12:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009