Is there a way to stop hiccups?

My baby is 2 weeks old and everytime I burp him after eating he gets hiccups, is there a way to stop it?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gripe water .

But it doesn't bother them the way it does adults , it will pass on its own.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• if your breastfeeding but your little on back on the breast for a little bit. Cures the hiccups! :) but if not then I would go with whatever advice anyone else gives you :) lol cause i have no idea
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my baby gets hiccups when she's going through a growth spurt (she's 15 months now and it has been true her whole life so far!). She was never bothered by her hiccups until she was a few months old. When it did bug her, I layed her across my lap and knees and gently rocked her back and forth for a few minutes until the hiccups were over.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• hiccups are actually really good for your baby. It helps develop their lungs and it most cases they start to hiccup from the womb (mine sure did). If your baby seems bothered by it try holding him close to your chest while you breath evenly. This helps to regulate their breathing and helps the hiccups to cease.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 2:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• trickle a dab of sugar on a wet pacifier. works like a charm.
    Kayleiigh

Answer by Kayleiigh at 3:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• wow live and learn!
    I would never thought it was actually good for them:)
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• yea.. my familys been using that method for the longest. aryanna gets the worst hiccups ever.. its the only thing that appeases her.
    Kayleiigh

Answer by Kayleiigh at 3:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Nothing is surefire...my guy had them several times a day for the first few weeks, but now gets them maybe once or twice a week. They're not hurting him, so don't worry about it!

Wive's tales you can try (for yourself, anyway...they'd be hard to do on a baby!): a spoonful of sugar, having someone scare you, bitters on an orange slice (I've seen this done in a restaurant, they insist it works!), standing on your head, drinking a glass of water really fast, holding your breath...anyone got any others? :)

I get really painful hiccups, and none of these work for me! Fun to try, though!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Oh jeeeez, my daughter is nine days old and has hiccups every single day. It annoys her, she doesn't cry but you can tell on her face that she doesn't enjoy it hahaha. She got them every day towards the end of my pregnancy too xD

I usually just hold her and pat her back, or let them pass. Some say using a pacifier or feeding them a little helps.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Okay my hispanic is showing, I know it sound's funny but I have tried it on all my kid's and it has worked. A little piece of brown paper bag on the forehead.
    llrey74

Answer by llrey74 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009