Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC Questions

I was wondering how to get a doc to hear you out on the VBAC situation. I just moved from a state that the docs were anti VBAC and I really do not want another section. I want to deliver naturally. I have had 2 babys naturally and 4 sections. but it has been almost 3 years since my last section. I have a midwife and a doula and am very much so considering just delivering at home if I cannot find a doc to do the VBAC. But I wanted to be safe not sorry and atleast try it in the hospital just in case there were any problems ya know. Well thanks and have a nice day.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (8)
  • After 4 sections I think you'll be hard pressed to find a doctor to do a vbac .
    Your uterus has weak spots , its more likely to rupture the more sections you've had .
    I would absolutely not do a home birth after 4 sections , it's not safe .
    If you can do a hospital birth with midwife and try a vbac I think that would be your best option.

    Answer by Meshell7 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • Well my last section that was done they said that they could not even find a scar from the previous sections at all and that the section probably was not even needed that time. So I must heal better then most then but that is why I wanted to try ya know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • I'm not a doctor but I think after having 4 c-sections a home delivery would be way too risky and you would be putting yourself and your baby at unneeded risk. I understand wanting to have a vbac, but you also need to take into consideration the safety of your baby. There's a reason your doctor wouldn't want to do a vbac.

    Answer by sbastille at 3:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • go visit the ICAN website! It depends on how long ago your last c/s was but I know many women who have had successful homebirths after 1 even 2 c/s. :) Most midwives/birth centers wont take you without 1 successful vbac...but you if you can do it naturally at a hospital, then that would be good to. a doula will be super helpful.


    Answer by celticreverie at 3:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • Ok, i'm in the same situation you are in. I had a c section first and VBAC's are banned where i am. The thing is they can't refuse you a VBAC if your in active labor. They can't force you into anything. I've read up on the laws and know alot about this subject, cause i too will NOT have another c section. They too are risky. It's major surgery and should only be done in an emergency. You might try and check if where you live has a local VBAC chapter, around here they have them. Or look on the i-can website and see if there's one of them. i think. Any way, if you really want a natural brith it's your choice. Dont let anyone tell you not to have one. The only time that shoud ever have a c section, is in an emergencyt. Good luck and keep me updated!

    Answer by sarapurser at 3:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • If I were you, I'd get a midwife and she if there is one who will let you deliver naturally. Four sections is quite a bit for a VBAC.

    Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • talk to your midwife mine has it set up if something happens that she will call the hospital and have me rushed there with OR ready and docs waiting to handle whatever could happen but i havent had to have one before so i hope for you the best and good luck

    Answer by bugbug07 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • more then likely you wont find a midwife or a dr willing to let you have a vbac after 4 sections. Yes the risks of uteren ruptore are really low like 1% but if you have had 4 already im sure there is a reason they wont let you. Most midwifes will only let you try if you have had one vbac.
    Im trying for a vbac this time but its only my second baby and my son was born by c section cuz he didnt tolerate labor well. its not banned where i live and most dr here are all for vbac so long as you fit the needed profile.
    check with your dr as to why they wont let you? im sure there is a good reason.

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.